Free Beer for Dale Countdown...

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I want Elvis back.

Is he just summering out or what's going on? Did I miss some drama?
We all do. But for some strange reason, he refuses to post here. I thought him to be more stolid.

Cheers!

Leto

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
[hirr]Leto;1291288 said:
We all do. But for some strange reason, he refuses to post here. I thought him to be more stolid.
Stop trolling.

Patrocles

Reaction score
Sure thing - y'all just have to come to Minnesota for it. :)

-dale
Congratulations on winning your bet. The Gamesquad caravan will be leaving soon for Minnesota. Please have the beer chilled for when we arrive!
Will there be snacks, too? Or should we bring our own appetizers?
:)

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some people need to read & comment in the "How can we get new people to come to GS" thread.

I doubt that one of the things Don desires as accomplishing that goal is by bashing & ridiculing players for "fun" and for just having different opinions no matter how stoic a player is or not.

This forum is going into the toilet and is a sorry reflection of what it was when under the Warfare HQ banner & when I moderated it and it's not because of players like Elvis. (Nor Geordies fault)

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We need to stop appeasing tools like nutter and driving more reasonable (if thick) people away.

Just because it's not written directly in the forum rules it is what makes a forum good or bad. You will always have the tools bend the rules and stay right inside and those with a life will not spend it trying to decipher the last bit of rules, they just go away.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
We need to stop appeasing tools like nutter and driving more reasonable (if thick) people away.

Just because it's not written directly in the forum rules it is what makes a forum good or bad. You will always have the tools bend the rules and stay right inside and those with a life will not spend it trying to decipher the last bit of rules, they just go away.
So your idea of an acceptable community standard is one in which name-calling (I take it that is the part of Nuttername's conduct you find most objectionable) is not permitted.

How does your post, then, differ from his?

Not so easy to be a moderator when the so-called "good posters" start adopting the posting styles of the so-called "bad posters".

So if Nuttername deserves to be banned for calling others names and being disruptive, what would distinguish your conduct in this thread, and this thread, from his?

For what it's worth, I agree completely with you on the notion that your contributions to this forum are exponentially more constructive than his, but from a purely unbiased perspective - that a moderator would have to take - how would you prove it in light of, say, the forum rules?

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So your idea of an acceptable community standard is one in which name-calling (I take it that is the part of Nuttername's conduct you find most objectionable) is not permitted.

How does your post, then, differ from his?

Not so easy to be a moderator when the so-called "good posters" start adopting the posting styles of the so-called "bad posters".

So if Nuttername deserves to be banned for calling others names and being disruptive, what would distinguish your conduct in this thread, and this thread, from his?

For what it's worth, I agree completely with you on the notion that your contributions to this forum are exponentially more constructive than his, but from a purely unbiased perspective - that a moderator would have to take - how would you prove it in light of, say, the forum rules?
What I'm saying is instead of making up rules, publish them and then see bad guys optimize around them and good (or useful) guys getting trapped in them because they have better things to do with their life you weight the contributions that a poster made against the trouble he causes.

People who only stir up things and never contribute things get kicked out. People who piss people off can get a away with it as long as there is a reasonable balance with contributions. That means a member of the latter group can get away with a violation that is stronger than what the former did and got banned.

I have been on electronic discussion forums almost 20 years. After a while you know how it goes: those who decide to only stir up trouble will never change. You can as well kick them out earlier without trying to obey to some BS procedure.

I also decided that it's not worth paying them respect (after a long enough observation). Namecalling is a good reaction because it demonstrates that they don't have credit and it ruins their illusion that they "mastered" the rules.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to agree with Redwolf. The only political forum I go near anymore (for instance) is World Affairs Board. The moderation is mainly just what Redwolf describes. Yes, there are rules, but "value" or perhaps that great phrase "signal to noise ratio" counts far more.

The mods are completely unfair and absolutely biased but the forum rocks, the discussions are fun, and the frustration level for everyone is low.

That is there, of course, and here is here.

The important thing is that I'm picking out my beer. Most of my more beer-savvy friends that I've polled have recommended Boddingtons, so I may go for that.

-dale

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In many instances, this come down the same analysis of one of the U.S. Supreme Court Justices articulated with regard to obscenity: I know it when I see it.

A key is often the person's body of work on the forum. In the instant case, that seems to be causing flamewars and taking cheap shots at other posters--and very little, if anything more.

It also illustrates why being a mod can be such a b*tch. The person may have not have technically violated any serious rules, but his intentional and ongoing conduct is exactly what the rules were implemented to stop.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Some people need to read & comment in the "How can we get new people to come to GS" thread.

I doubt that one of the things Don desires as accomplishing that goal is by bashing & ridiculing players for "fun" and for just having different opinions no matter how stoic a player is or not.

This forum is going into the toilet and is a sorry reflection of what it was when under the Warfare HQ banner & when I moderated it and it's not because of players like Elvis. (Nor Geordies fault)
I don't think there any easy answer here. We are basically stuck in a CM forum for games that have either long passed there sell by date and had almost everything said about them that's going to be. Or a game that is current but not many people either play or like. Or a game that has been promised for almost a year that's still to arrive.

So that leaves speculation and much in talking about things that may or may not come to pass.

As for the guys here, then I feel that everyone and their opinions are welcome here. I won't stand for anyone being picked upon or trolled because they seem to have a minority view. Contrary to this, I won't have guys coming here just to play out their own agenda and deliberately insult others.

In sum, I feel like everyone has the right to express themselves however they want as long as it doesn't involve the abuse of others here, and I will never listen to anyone calling for others to be banned. That's going to be my decision based upon the behaviour of the individual concerned.

What I'm saying is, continue to post, let me worry about Modding and enjoy yourselves on the site.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
What I'm saying is, continue to post, let me worry about Modding and enjoy yourselves on the site.
Exactly; if something is considered objectionable, use the Report Post button; that is what it is for.

British Tommy

Reaction score
Country
ll
Most of my more beer-savvy friends that I've polled have recommended Boddingtons, so I may go for that.

-dale
Noooooo! I'm sure you have better taste than drinking Boddingtons. There are lots of superior Brit beers out there and if your stuck, we will suggest some.
Your friends may be savvy but not when it comes to beer!

Sgt_Kelly

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Why are we discussing British beers ? Has Elvis decamped to Blighty ?

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Because it's more interesting than the rumours about CMN :)
Plus I didn't want Dale to buy crappy Brit beer when there's a vast selection out there to choose from.
That's true, tomintoul Wildcat is one that comes to mind.