Journal 8?????????????????

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Considering geoboard scenarios are a dime a dozen, shouldn't J8 cost $5 to be a good value? :laugh:

In all seriousness, the J8 price is good for what you're getting. I just think you're getting more interesting stuff in other places.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have to pay $15 + shipping for a pack of geoboard scenarios and articles. Why would have I read J8 if that's all I'm getting and my shelf is full of that stuff already? :)

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to pay $15 + shipping for a pack of geoboard scenarios and articles. Why would have I read J8 if that's all I'm getting and my shelf is full of that stuff already? :)
At least three are VotG scenarios, which obviously aren't geo board scenarios.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Have you read J8 yet?
I think what Mr. P was saying was that how can you judge a products worth without having it in your mits, though if you are not into geo board scenario's or have enough of them then it wont be good value for you if you are not intrested in the articles either.

How ever I think the majority will be intrested in the journal and if you play just two scenario's from it are well in credit for the price paid. Many hobby mags are not far behind the cost of the Journal without game play in them.

The proof of the pudding is in sales, something it will have a plenty even though it does not come with a potato stamped with ASL.

Also the point about coming with map and/or counters, why would it. The vast majority of annuals and journals have all come without this extra trappings and to be honest I would much preffer a regular YEARLY Journal than once a blue moon with all the extra's that I may or may not get round to. I'd buy it with them as well but am looking forward to the Journal more because it does not come with these things this time.

On another subject, I hope the WO bonus board/pack will be sold in the UK through UK outlets as the cost of tax collection will stop me getting it as the starter kit one just was silly money with the charge added (not a lot of change out of £20 (or $35ish in funny money).

Ian

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Look who the comment was coming from, guys, someone who has had a bug up his butt about MMP for years.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Is there really anyone here who still takes him seriously?
In fairness to Portal he has been restrained recently and yes I saw the possible barb but answered in a fair manor. Maybe we all do for a while and he will continue to do the same.

I for one was getting tired of the hate and am more than a little ashamed of some of my comments. This is not just about Portal but all of us who have thrown too much mud.

Cheers
Ian

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I take a lot of his comments seriously, but none of them that have anything to do with MMP or official vs unofficial, etc. On those issues he is hopelessly and forever biased.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The proof of the pudding is in sales
It would be interesting to compare the sales figures to that of other periodicals of similar nature - two stumblings blocks;

a) there are no periodicals of "similar nature", and
b) there are no published sales figures.

:laugh:

You can stretch the definition of "similar nature" any way you like, of course. I know I just did.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It would be interesting to compare the sales figures to that of other periodicals of similar nature - two stumblings blocks;

a) there are no periodicals of "similar nature", and
b) there are no published sales figures.

:laugh:

You can stretch the definition of "similar nature" any way you like, of course. I know I just did.

It is all relative, to be a success MMP just need to carry on publishing it. It is there critera that makes it a success or failure, ours is really just opinion.

If MMP make a loss but feel it is required to supply a certain face of ASL or `presence' then it is still a success as long as the loss does not do damage to the company.

If they make a small profit that contributes to the cost of a full time employee (Chas) and they are happy with that level, then again it is a success.

If they make a good profit that gets them that 2nd home and we never get to know just how much they make from MMP then again it is a success.

For me as I stated, if in all the time I own the Journal I play two scenario's out of it and read the scenario's then it was a success for me. That may seem a fairly low bar but with around 3000 scenario's waiting to play and getting about 70 games in a year I have too many to play all of them and two from some packs is a high number. Funny thing is that I have started 7 games so far this year and none of them have been AH/MMP, three have been S'punct, two LTT one critical hit and 1 playtest. BUT I have 3 AH/MMP ones on the go from 2009 and a campaign ready to go soon.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a side note, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would question the value of this Journal. For the $15 pre-order price you get 64 pages, including 16 scenarios and 9 excellent articles. The reason it's so inexpensive is because it has no "goodies", like a CG; we have some of those slated for Journal 9 later this year. This magazine is more article-based because we wanted to get the Journal back onto a regular publishing schedule, and we had the article material to do this one done relatively quickly once I came on board. The results are excellent. Carl Nogueira's and Mark Pitcavage's articles alone are worth the price.

So for 3/5ths the cost of most scenario packs these days you get a fantastic ASL bargain.
Consider the source.

At $15 I did a double take to see if the pre-order price was correct. For that amount with the scenarios and articles it's the best value in ASL right now. People shouldn't expect every Journal to have a HASL, mapboard or countersheet. The Annuals didn't and neither do the Journals.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the common theme in some parts of this community is whining, more or less. Some people ***** and moan for Journals and more products, etc, and when they get them, they aren't good enough for whatever reason.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Looking forward to J8, good to see Marsha's Fire Brigade made official, a real classic scenario without a doubt.

Scott

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would say that for most Blood & Jungle might be a better priority over LFT12.
They might be 1 a and 1b. I had them side-by-side last night as I finished up reading LFT #12. They are the perfect complement to each other.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And isn't that what you are doing with this post...more or less? :laugh:
If you're reading selectively, sure. Are you able to not do that? Wait, nevermind... other threads have cleared that question up for us.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you're reading selectively, sure. Are you able to not do that? Wait, nevermind... other threads have cleared that question up for us.
TRANSLATION: Yes, Tater, you are right...I was whining about whining. What's more, now I am whining about you. :laugh:

Last edited: