Journal 8?????????????????

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Makes you wonder, dunnit? I came in Monday expecting to see reviews of DB3, not to mention J8, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... Really really odd. Typical East Coast "The World Ends At The Delaware Water Gap" attitude?

HEY WO DUDES. HOW ABOUT A FEW WORDS ON THEM THAR PRODUCTS, HEY?

russum frussum...
Typical middle earthers. Bowie is about 100 mi west of the Delaware Water Gap (and about 100mi south). Anyway, my understanding is that DB3 is a reprint of previous versions with corrections applied. As such, and already having a DB, I didn't see any reason to own another. A good way to get a review would be to go to your shelf, look at your copy and imagine that errata had been applied.

JR

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would say that for most Blood & Jungle might be a better priority over LFT12.

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This question is directed to those who have Journal #8 already.

What are the specific dates of the three VOTG scenarios? I note that "Perfected in Battle" involves a Russian attempt to capture the Voentorg.

Thanks in advance!

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The three VotG scenarios occur on the following dates:

Cellar Dwellers: 17 September 1942
Terror at Twilight: 18 September 1942
Defending the Voentorg: 22 September 1942

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A good way to get a review would be to go to your shelf, look at your copy and imagine that errata had been applied.

JR
Journal 8 contains a comprehensive list of all the errata and updates which were incorporated into DB3.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a side note, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would question the value of this Journal. For the $15 pre-order price you get 64 pages, including 16 scenarios and 9 excellent articles. The reason it's so inexpensive is because it has no "goodies", like a CG; we have some of those slated for Journal 9 later this year. This magazine is more article-based because we wanted to get the Journal back onto a regular publishing schedule, and we had the article material to do this one done relatively quickly once I came on board. The results are excellent. Carl Nogueira's and Mark Pitcavage's articles alone are worth the price.

So for 3/5ths the cost of most scenario packs these days you get a fantastic ASL bargain.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a side note, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would question the value of this Journal. For the $15 pre-order price you get 64 pages, including 16 scenarios and 9 excellent articles. The reason it's so inexpensive is because it has no "goodies", like a CG; we have some of those slated for Journal 9 later this year. This magazine is more article-based because we wanted to get the Journal back onto a regular publishing schedule, and we had the article material to do this one done relatively quickly once I came on board. The results are excellent. Carl Nogueira's and Mark Pitcavage's articles alone are worth the price.

So for 3/5ths the cost of most scenario packs these days you get a fantastic ASL bargain.
I don't think very many people will truly question its value--you are right that it offers a lot for the price (and I except my article from this comment; I am solely talking about the scenarios and other articles). It is probably going to end up one of the real bargains of 2010.

skye88

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
We're installing a new billing system which will allow all those who pre-ordered both J8 and DB3 to be billed/shipped together. This will save everyone a few bucks and speed up shipping since the ladies will be able to group items together.
Oh good, maybe with the new system my full creditcard number doesn't get printed on every included bill (and you have got to love the effort made painting it over by the way - which doesn't really do anything when you hold the paper to the light).

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Very well said. Period.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Typical middle earthers. Bowie is about 100 mi west of the Delaware Water Gap (and about 100mi south).
Out here where the states are square like God intended, 100 miles gets you to the next county.

Anyway, my understanding is that DB3 is a reprint of previous versions with corrections applied. As such, and already having a DB, I didn't see any reason to own another. A good way to get a review would be to go to your shelf, look at your copy and imagine that errata had been applied.
Perhaps, but I want to know which scenarios got tweaked and how. More importantly, I want to know how the new boards look - DB3 is supposed to have the SK-style versions of boards 9, 11, 33, 44, and 45, plus several sheets of terrain overlays. How do those look? Which overlays? What differences are there (minor, to be sure) between the old-style boards and the new SK-style?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My problem is I can't remember if I pre-ordered it, and I have three different postal codes entered into their system. :mad: I wish I could just enter my name and email address in order to review my preorder history instead of my entire nomadic migrational history. :laugh:

Stardragon99

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My problem is I can't remember if I pre-ordered it, and I have three different postal codes entered into their system. :mad: I wish I could just enter my name and email address in order to review my preorder history instead of my entire nomadic migrational history. :laugh:
It went on pre-order a couple weeks ago. How often have you moved since then?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The point being of course that I wish that items wouldn't just disappear from the website entirely after preorder. It would be nice to be able to "preorder" items that aren't yet ready to ship, even without the pre-release discount normally associated with a P#, rather than having to "check back" every few days to see if the item has been added to the website yet.

A true "user account" with a single log-in would be great too, rather than multiple postal codes, in order to access the range of stuff that have been previously pre-ordered - especially if some of the ancient preorders are now being "bundled" with newer ones to save on shipping costs.

I realize a redo of the website has long been discussed/in the works, just bringing this up again for what it is worth.

Ronnblom

Swedish Terminator
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Save for maybe the Eastern Front action pack, I think this journal looks like it's going to be the best ASL product since... the last journal. This time I actually read the articles too (not only looked at the pictures). I've played three new (ie non-FrF) scenarios, and I liked all of them.