Classic SL scenarios for ASLSK

HeThinksAgain

Reaction score
Country
ll
Can you use the classic SL scenarios for ASLSK without modification? I know that MMP has a download for the classic SL scenarios, but are they modified for ASL and if so are there modified versions for ASLSK?

I read somewhere on BGG that if converting SL scenarios to ASL then one of the obvious changes is to reduce the number of machine guns because they are more effective in ASL. In that case should there be more changes for ASLSK bearing in mind the limited ruleset, e.g. no concealment?

Cheers, Al.

ant_dk

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Can you use the classic SL scenarios for ASLSK without modification? I know that MMP has a download for the classic SL scenarios, but are they modified for ASL and if so are there modified versions for ASLSK?

I read somewhere on BGG that if converting SL scenarios to ASL then one of the obvious changes is to reduce the number of machine guns because they are more effective in ASL. In that case should there be more changes for ASLSK bearing in mind the limited ruleset, e.g. no concealment?

Cheers, Al.
The first thing that you will run into are the terrain. SK scenarios are played on special SK boards with limited terrain features.

Second: There are no ELR in SL.

Then there is balance. I am sure that not all SL scenarios would be balanced under SK rules.

Currently there are about 50 published SK scenarios to choose from and more under way. I wouldn't bother to look at old SL scenarios.

HeThinksAgain

Reaction score
Country
ll
Fair point. The reason I wanted to try is them is that I own the boards and I have played those scenarios a few times so I'm familiar with some of the tactics for SL, and I was interested to see how it compared when playing ASL rules.

I currently only have SK#2 and ASL Starter Kit Bonus Pack #1 so I'm a bit limited to scenarios at the moment. SK#1 is making it's way be snailmail from the states (13 weeks delivery time!) and I have pre-ordered ASL Starter Kit Expansion Pack #1 which should arrive at some point when MMP print it and ship it. Can't wait.

I know that MMP have published other scenarios in Operations magazine, though I can't find a UK stockist for it. Anyone?

ant_dk

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Fair point. The reason I wanted to try is them is that I own the boards and I have played those scenarios a few times so I'm familiar with some of the tactics for SL, and I was interested to see how it compared when playing ASL rules.

I currently only have SK#2 and ASL Starter Kit Bonus Pack #1 so I'm a bit limited to scenarios at the moment. SK#1 is making it's way be snailmail from the states (13 weeks delivery time!) and I have pre-ordered ASL Starter Kit Expansion Pack #1 which should arrive at some point when MMP print it and ship it. Can't wait.

I know that MMP have published other scenarios in Operations magazine, though I can't find a UK stockist for it. Anyone?
You can download 3 of them for free at MMP's website:

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/ASL/aslsk.php

Also I think that Second Chance Games has them:

http://www.secondchancegames.com/

Last edited:

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Most of the ASL tactics are the same as the SL and SKASL, just a few more wrinkles and the power of the MGs etc require further thought

But good grounding in SL will help speed up the ASL machine

Ian

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The issues most likely to destroy balance when playing an ASL scenario using only the Starter Kit rules are the lack of cocealment, and bypass movement in the starter kit.

Sure, if you don't care about balance, play them. Let us know how it turns out. (Ignore the sniper, ELR and OBA...)

Reaction score
Scenarios from what used to be known as the Cross of Iron/Crescendo of Doom environment use too many rules that are diffferent from either ASLSK or ASL, and vice versa.

The main problem is that AFVs, paradrops, cavalry, and partisans were modelled differently, which shows up in the longer, bigger scenarios from the CoI/CoD environment when played with the "new" rules.

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
Alan, just play with the full ASL rules. A scenario like The Guards Counterattack is not such a big jump from starter kit in terms of rules complexity and you will enjoy it more.

You just need to read up on bypass (easy), concealment (a little trickier), stairs and how many levels each building has (OK), firelanes ( OK), and LOS with blind hexes (a bit tougher) but that is about it. Technically, you could have a human wave but that is unlkely. There is also a great blow by blow explanation (esampel of paly) of this scenario which helped me out when I got started. Don't have a link right now but someone will have it.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recommend to any player ASL/SK to go tothe MMP website and download ALL the scenarios that are available there.

Then begin to enjoy the scenarios and try to play them with the SK rules or indulge into the ASL rules.

Enjoy.

Reaction score
I recommend to any player ASL/SK to go tothe MMP website and download ALL the scenarios that are available there.

Then begin to enjoy the scenarios and try to play them with the SK rules or indulge into the ASL rules.

Enjoy.
To clarify, there are a lot of free SL-GI: AoV scenarios at http://www.wargameacademy.org/sqla/Scenarios/index.html

I wouldn't try the ones with a lot of special rules like paradrops, cavalry, etc. My gut tells me that balance problems could show up with these, particularly since some of these scenarios weren't balanced from the beginning. The official scenarios with special rules primarily exist to illustrate the rule, from what I can tell.