Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The long awaited first look at Cameron's magnus opus: Avatar.

[YOUTUBE]fXF2nH4Z9sc[/YOUTUBE]

So...Tarzan meets Braveheart meets Aliens. Yeah, I'm already losing interest. Just like AI was a big budget retelling of Pinocchio, I suspect this is going to be just another derivative piece of forgettable Hollywood nonsense. :rolleyes:

A/CSM Bird

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
One thing that struck me was the guy in the wheel chair. A human powered roll on the ground wheelchair?? Nobody heard of Dean Kamen the guy behind the Segway. He has prototype, three to five years ago now, mobile devices for the disabled that allow them to 'stand' and even navigate stairs. Not to mention all the stem cell research going on right now into growing new nerve fibre and repairing spine damage etc. C'mon people where are all these tech advances going to be by the time frame of the movie plot?!

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The kids show that this was based on was fantastic - I watched it every week with my youngest daughter, and it was interesting, imaginative and very satisfying. But I can't see boiling that down into 2 hours of live action - I think Cameron has bitten off more than he can chew.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, but don't feel bad. I've seen a bunch of people make the same mistake. Could be that Cameron picked a bad name for his big budget cartoon. :D

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I saw a preview for Airbender... it was being directed by M. Night Shamalyan (or however you spell his name)...

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Boy, who made this Hitler guy a critic? :D

[YOUTUBE]JAPyipuT-Jg[/YOUTUBE]

OMG! Hitler nailed it! :laugh: His criticism is as funny as it is accurate! Glad to know I'm not the only one underwhelmed by the trailer, and soon...the movie.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New "extended" trailer:

[YOUTUBE]cRdxXPV9GNQ[/YOUTUBE]

Okay, I will say that this trailer did make the movie seem more interesting, even watchable (er...rentable). However, it still comes across as a big budget version of Braveheart meets the Ewoks. Not exactly the groundbreaking sci-fi I've been waiting for. :rolleyes: But we'll see....

Pdqport

1st Caveman Superhero
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A pinch of Aliens, a dash of Dances with Wolves, a dollop of Braveheart. How do you spell derivative?

Nice to see Sigourney Weaver in sci-fi again, though. Hope she gets to kick a little ass.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is funny:

[YOUTUBE]r0kfNX88xGI[/YOUTUBE]

Another marketing success! :D

And...

The Avatar Debate

In fact to know how the history of Avatar will play out one need look no further than Titanic. Bowled over by the megalomaniacal technical accomplishment, critics and audiences alike suspended all rational judgment and bestowed all the laurels our society has to offer on Cameron's boat sinking blunderbuss. From the Academy of Motion Pictures to mobs of teenage girls, the one thing we as a society could agree on — or else — was that Titanic was a masterpiece.

Only 12 years later are the scales beginning to fall so that sensible people can agree, Titanic was perhaps the worst movie ever made.

The first half of Titanic is the most mind-numbingly tedious tour through Cameron's big erector set driven by romance story that seemed to have been written by a 14-year-old on his first day high school filmmaking class given an assignment to write a new project for a ressurected Joan Blondell. And then came the second half which was essentially an aquatic snuff film in which we spend an hour watching people in olde timey dress get drowned. And then there was a Celine Dion song. And a bookend from the present.
Yes! Yes! Yes! I hated that movie and would often get ridiculed for not loving it (and, like the new Star Wars films, it only gets worse with repeated viewings on late-night cable). Finally, others have let the blinders fall off when it comes to Cameron (don't even get me started on T2....).

It continues....

Now, we're all for imagineers creating breathtaking new worlds for audiences; and the place where such accomplishments to be beheld properly is on a ride at Disneyland. We'd be delighted to line up for an eight minute "James Cameron's Mission to Pandora; The 3D IMAX Experience." That sounds like just the right amount of Pandora for us.

And we're also all for mindless action movies. It's when mindless action movies attempt to convey big meaningful themes — Avatar is about the environment — that they morph from amusingly stupid to laughably stupid; like having a 14-year-old boy suddenly lecturing you about your duty to the world, as told through a parable of blue space creatures.
:D

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Best quote from the first vid.. "it's about dragons or some ****" :laugh:

Yes! Yes! Yes! I hated that movie and would often get ridiculed for not loving it.
In high school it was funny when us guys would debate with the girls. They'd always ask, "what was your favorite part of Titanic?" Answer, "the boat sinking, seeing that guy hit the propeller, OUCH!". The girls would then say, "you're liars, you know you liked the nude scene." Haha, "oh right! Forgot about that part! Thanks for reminding us... which part was it in again?"

I wouldn't even say Braveheart. It's the same 'ole big evil corporation, country, empire, people, etc. oppressing the little guy. If anything this is FernGully: The Last Rainforest with guns.

I'll still see it however.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the woman right before that guy with the best quote :)laugh:) who said "it's a fantasy". Right on! Just like I've been saying, most modern cinematic sci-fi is actually fantasy with a thin pantena of tech on top. Even the guy said "dragons" and not "aliens".

Those two quotes alone are great indicators of how modern sci-fi cinema is failing in general and how Avatar seems to be a failure specifically.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then you'd like this even more!

The language of Avatar revealed

It all started with what Professor Paul Frommer now describes as a "fateful e-mail."

The linguistics expert from the University of Southern California is the brains behind the language used by James Cameron's 10-foot-tall alien tribe in the much-anticipated science fiction epic, Avatar.

"Jim Cameron's production department at Lightstorm Entertainment was looking for a linguist that would be able to help him develop an alien language," explains Professor Frommer.

"At that time, it wasn't even called Avatar - it was project 880 - but the e-mail was forwarded to me and I saw it and jumped on it. I was very excited about it. A week or two later I was called in for a talk."

The language enthusiast managed to persuade Cameron that he was the man to create a functioning language for a story the director had dreamt up a decade earlier.

"I spent a wonderful 90-minutes with Jim and at the end of it he shook my hand and said 'welcome aboard,'" says Professor Frommer.

The pair worked together for four years to develop the Na'vi language.

The director had already come up with about thirty words, for the characters' names and body parts. But he was looking to the professor to give the language an authentic but exotic feel.

Crucially, it had to be a language that could be articulated.

"This is an alien language but obviously it has to be spoken by human actors," explains Professor Frommer.

"It has to be sounds that human beings are comfortable producing."

It is a unique language, with its own syntactic and grammatical rules.

Its creator says some of Cameron's original words had "a vaguely Polynesian feel". Others have suggested that it sounds like German or Japanese.

"It certainly borrows various grammatical structures, sounds, that exist in other languages - but what I hope is that the combination in this language is unique," says Professor Frommer.

As well as creating the language, Professor Frommer taught the actors how to speak it.

"I met with each of the seven principal actors who use the language beforehand. I helped them with the pronunciation, we broke things down.

"I also created some sound files, MP3 files. I guess some of them downloaded them onto their iPods so they could listen to them at the gym."

Professor Frommer spent hours on the set, helping the cast fine tune their alien language speaking abilities.

"I gave them quite a challenge. I found that they really rose to the occasion, everybody had a great time. I knew that it had to be something that actors could deal with and handle," he says.

The language currently runs to about a thousand words. It does not have a huge vocabulary, but Professor Frommer is still working at it. He is also still trying to master his own language.

"I wish I could speak it fluently," he says.

"As for who at this point understands the grammar and such, I think probably I'm the only one. I wish that eventually that might not be the case."

In fact, one day, Professor Frommer hopes Na'vi will match Klingon, as the "gold standard" alien language.

"There's a translation of Hamlet into Klingon," says Professor Frommer.

"There are Klingon clubs that meet all over the world. There are a very dedicated group of people who meet and try to speak it.

"If anything happened like this with Na'vi I'd be delighted."

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But I can't see boiling that down into 2 hours of live action - I think Cameron has bitten off more than he can chew.
It's listed as 2 hrs 40 minutes. Too long for a 'date' right there.
Think we'll see 'A Christmas Carol ' instead.

Maybe someday when I'm unemployed, I'll get it from the library.

Reaction score
It's listed as 2 hrs 40 minutes. Too long for a 'date' right there.
Think we'll see 'A Christmas Carol ' instead.

Maybe someday when I'm unemployed, I'll get it from the library.
You'd be surprised at how many movies I have screened under those circumstances. Thank God for a decent public library...