More from Wild Bill

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
guys, the ignore list is your friend.....

just put the people (person) who agitate you on ignore and do not look back, its amazing how much more pleasant the Forums can be.

Just soem friendly advise from someone who finally could not take it any more and used the ignore list

Peace

Roger

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
So wait... Are you one of the ones with no self control that needs a support group, or are you enjoying your "virtually unplayable" purchase? Are you the "one" that has posted on this forum!?
There's no contradiction. I purchased the materials because I wanted them, in order to be able to discuss them based on ownership of them rather than simply having seen them on ebay. (Ever seen Plan 9 From Outer Space? If you know something is bad going into it, you can't regret your purchase.) And I didn't pay 300 dollars. I emailed him and asked if these were going to be available on an ongoing basis. He said they were, and I got them in a second-chance deal for a much lower sum than usual, simply by asking.

No, to answer your question, I'm not the "one" that has posted on this forum (you can follow the tags and find the discussion, but I'm not going to "out" anyone for the screaming mob), but I feel bad for the dude that did, especially since terms like "moron" keep getting kicked around. Never saw the point in feeding on other members of an already small community to begin with simply because they are perceived to play the wrong things/buy from the wrong vendors/part their hair the wrong way/whatever, but that seems to be an ongoing hobby for a minority here.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To some extent your correct but Wild Bill has been around doing this type of thing since Squad Leader came out, if you look at his work back in 1982 you'll see a lot of similarities when COB & GH came out by AH, he originated the 'concept' to one degree or another back in 1982 and when ASL came out in 1985 (really it was not until 1986 that both the RB and BV were out together so you could play it and most did not jump right away to ASL, I did because I was sick of the freaking 4 rule books of SL/COI/COD/GI nightmare).

Anyway in the early 90s he switched to PC games and gained a big name on tactical wargames (in particular the Matrix Steel Panthers World at War - I don't like that model, the SP Camo Steel Panthers WW2 is much better...) and only now in the last two years or so has Wild Bill 'got' back into ASL.
I could see his 'argument' that dating back to 1982 he came up with the PTO stuff for SL so he is not plagiarizing ASL, but I can also see that his work is a direct copy so where do you draw the line?
...with the PTO stuff for SL; "the" should not be in this phrase :laugh:

...with PTO stuff for SL which AH's legal staff immediately quashed :smoke:

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I knew I should have gone with a vegetable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ASL-Toilet-Paper-ASL-Vietnam-Scenario_W0QQitemZ270476317971QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef9a51513

I'm liking the questions though.

The trouble is, using the actual trademark is a no-no. And if you'll excuse me, I'm off for my morning constitutional and playtesting session.
Mine's the insult to TP. :smoke:

Hey, 99 cents is a good deal for 2 rolls of AW.

I hear the empty spools can be fashioned into dice towers. :D

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Mine's the insult to TP. :smoke:

Hey, 99 cents is a good deal for 2 rolls of AW.

I hear the empty spools can be fashioned into dice towers. :D
Bid early, bid often. :)

I saw your handle and got worried it was Kingpin Wild Bill himself coming to hunt me down, then I read the question the other way around. :laugh: It was too good not to share.

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bid early, bid often. :)

I saw your handle and got worried it was Kingpin Wild Bill himself coming to hunt me down, then I read the question the other way around. :laugh: It was too good not to share.
I should also produce some Wild Bill-type stuff.

I'll be Wilder Wild Bill! :smoke:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
That is ugly compared to todays, but leaps and bounds better then the 1982 overlay in white and black I got...

Anyway, here is an interesting off topic tid-bit, did you know that hate and anger can be a great motivator if channeled in the right direction?

Ever heard of Enzo Ferrari, after WW1 he tried to go work for FIAT (you know that stands for right?) and they told him to piss of, he got anger, pissed and hated Fiat and vowed revenge, well you know the rest of the story.

Today, the powers that be try to teach the young ones that anger and hatred are bad, if channeled properly you could become the next Enzo Ferrari.

Just saying....

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That is ugly compared to todays, but leaps and bounds better then the 1982 overlay in white and black I got...

Anyway, here is an interesting off topic tid-bit, did you know that hate and anger can be a great motivator if channeled in the right direction?

Ever heard of Enzo Ferrari, after WW1 he tried to go work for FIAT (you know that stands for right?) and they told him to piss of, he got anger, pissed and hated Fiat and vowed revenge, well you know the rest of the story.

Today, the powers that be try to teach the young ones that anger and hatred are bad, if channeled properly you could become the next Enzo Ferrari.

Just saying....
I've been saying for years that the best thing anyone can do is to find themselves a Mortal Enemy...not to punish him, but to improve yourself.

I agree completely; the trick is to channel the creative energies properly. When Mark published his scenario design guide, I attempted to provide some feedback on the book in open forum (more constructively than my not-very-nice review that I published). The feedback was, perhaps understandably, ignored. I was piqued at that, as silly as that is to report, so I thought - why not take my constructive ideas and see what I can do with them? The result was my own publication and both our books are currently in the top 800 on the publisher's sales charts, if I am reading the numbers correctly.

This is what I was getting at with my earlier comments. You can cyber-stalk WBW all you like, and complain and criticize, but if anyone is really all that concerned about someone else's business - the solution is to try and do better. There is a Vietnam ASL yahoo group; anyone is free to join it and be constructive and give ASL players a better option. Given the collective brain power on this site, there is nothing to stop anyone from coming up with a better solitaire system. Publish it. Give the money to charity or rake it in for themselves. Whatever.

Mark has already acted constructively in publishing review material on his site; it's an important step in helping consumers make an informed decision. I honestly think that's as far as you can lead the horse into the water. Once he's at the trough, in fact, standing up to his neck in it, you kind of have to conclude maybe he's just not thirsty after all.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I personally think that Korea and the Middle East circa 1956 would work for ASL as a module, but once you hit Vietman or the early 1962/64 India/Pakistan wars then ASL will fall apart. Think helo's SAM, TOW and other things.

I think that is why Avalon Hill created Firepower and MBT back in the day.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I've been saying for years that the best thing anyone can do is to find themselves a Mortal Enemy...
The entire ASL universe in your case :p

Once he's at the trough, in fact, standing up to his neck in it, you kind of have to conclude maybe he's just not thirsty after all.
Maybe the horse can tell the water's been poisoned? ;)

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I personally think that Korea and the Middle East circa 1956 would work for ASL as a module, but once you hit Vietman or the early 1962/64 India/Pakistan wars then ASL will fall apart. Think helo's SAM, TOW and other things.

I think that is why Avalon Hill created Firepower and MBT back in the day.
The only thing that can't be done is the thing you convince yourself can't be...

Certainly, ASL could provide the framework for modern combat, but changes to the IFT, TH/TK charts and the introduction of newer weapon systems would need be folded into the system. Likewise, some sections of ASL may need to be revamped/excised appropriate for the era, but to say it can't be done?....:(

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The entire ASL universe in your case :p
:D

If that were true there weren't be enough hours in the day for my productivity. Then again, there wouldn't be any talent to meet the demands, so it would be disappointment all around.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised you didn't jump into the thread after the first reference to your scenarios. When did you stop searching the forum for your screen-name? :p

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only thing that can't be done is the thing you convince yourself can't be...

Certainly, ASL could provide the framework for modern combat, but changes to the IFT, TH/TK charts and the introduction of newer weapon systems would need be folded into the system. Likewise, some sections of ASL may need to be revamped/excised appropriate for the era, but to say it can't be done?....:(
I think it can be done...but by the time one is done with all the changes/re-vamps/modifications...will it still be ASL?

As mentioned, there are already games that have been done to cover "modern" warfare on the tactical level...what value is there in reinventing the wheel (i.e., pushing a square peg into a round hole) within the ASL frame-work.

Me, I just have no interest in ASL for Nam, Korea, Golan Heights, Iraq, etc...can't really explain beyond the fact that the idea just doesn't grab me. Particularly when I still have so much current ASL I want to play.