VotG CG IV: The North Shore Open

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
15D ist kaputt! Ended around 1130 pm last night in R7 with a German victory based on the # of stone hexes gained. Death toll is as follows:

German losses: 3x8-3-8 / 7x5-4-8 / 1x4-6-8 / 15x4-6-7 / 2.5x4-4-7 /1x9-2 / 2x9-1 / 2x 8-0 / 2x7-0 / 3xcrew (74CVP)

Russian losses: 2.5xNKVD / 4.5x6-2-8 / 10.5 x 4-5-8 / 4.5x4-4-7 / 8.5 for 4-2-6 / 2x10-0 /1x9-2 / 1x9-0 / 1xT-34 (crew survived) / 2x76L / 1x82* / 4xcrew, 2x1-2-7 (~86 CVP)

In the south Dr. D did not get a lot of dice love last night, whereas I did which he found REALLY annoying. For example, I had rate on the .50 cal /9-2 back on P39, another black chit (for a day total of 4) on the 80+ OBA, and good dice in general. Brian had missed Stuka sighting checks, a bomb attack miss, bogged the StuG, and probably many other things I can't recall.

Up north Sprague had a rough time. At one point he was firing off f-bombs like they were going out of style. But, he held on. A hot SAN helped break one of the 2 5-4-8s by the river. The perimeter damage is not as bad as it could've been. The center held and he kept the 1+5+7 bunker.

In the south I took back negligable terrain but it's something. I did not get to start moving forward until R6 after the German attack reached the culmination point. The Germans had 2 Stukas in R6 and used both to attack squads going back into the P44 block from the Theater and R44. The attacks were ineffective except for the pin effect which was enough to save the 2-4-7's bacon in P44! He skulked in G6.

One the Stukas were committed in the south I moved the KV in T30. Back in prep I placed smoke in R32 and S31 to help in the event of air attack. The KV-1 moved to R32 and DM'd a HS/MMG in P32. The other HS failed the PAATC and the wd'd 8-0 had NE in street fighting. I pushed more guys towards S37 where Dr. D had a 4-4-7/7-0. The German D1F and DF was all NE. In G7 I broke the 4-4-7/7-0 and killed them for FTR in L1 during R7. I also DT'd a 1-2-7 forward who eventually got to R29. This gives the southern sector some nice breathing space.

Russians declared night attack. Who needs sleep when you could be killing Fritz? With over 2 companies worth of German squads lost I expect the lines are going to be pretty thin. Especially with the longer perimeter (I'll post that once I scan it, for now see the screenshots of game end).

Time to refit. It'll likely be about 2 weeks before we start the slaughter again.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey folks,

FYI, we are going to do 15N. We'll probably only have time to do the setup this week and actually start playing next week. So no new updates until then. :-(

It's tough playing in the summer where everyone has vacas, etc, etc.

M

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey folks,

We started 15N tonight and got through 2 turns. Since we're still in progress I will not divulge our tactical plans for this scenario yet but I'll give an update of what happened in the Northern sector. I'm sure Jim will fill us in on the South. I'd also like to mention that Jim pretty much did all of the planning for this. I was swamped at work and asked him to setup my guys and I was very happy with his plan so we just went with it. :)

If y'all remember, the Germans managed to get all of the North board edge and down to the river on 15D. On R1, I prepped 2 x 82mm MTRs to fire SMOKE in BB1 and W1. In both hexes the Germans had at least 1 MMC. In T1 I wanted to take back any German holdings on the river and to grab as much as the board edge as possible. I had guys on board and a Guards SMG platoon coming off board. I move in and advance onto 6 locations; some by the river, some by the board edge and some in the warehouse. Four of those six locations were dummies. The only real CC was in U4 and U5. In both I get ambush.

In U4 there is no result so we're stuck in HtH. In U5 I get a CR. Oh yeah, in both cases I had a 5-2-7 and ATR and MikeP had a 4-6-8. So after R1 I'm up 1 dead G 1/2 squad but have pretty much taken the river back and the board edge up to the level drop.

In G1, there is little G prep fire but one thing of note, Dr Death breaks a FT. :) During movement, MikeP shows reinforcements coming on board from the North; a full company from the looks. Oh yeah, did I mention, no German reserves on map after setup? Guess not. :p So MikeP moves his company on board, trying to reinforce his guys in Pavlov's house. I have several units in the warehouse already.

In G1 CC, the U4 HtH melee has my 5-2-7 killing a 4-6-8. In U5 it's mutual destruction as I kill his 2-4-8 but he gets my 5-2-7. So far I'm up 1 squad.

R2 I prep my 1 of the 82mm MTRs and dismantle the other. No SMOKE from the MTR and no prep. :( In my movement, the 5-2-7 in U4 breaks but through the course of the turn I get the rest of the warehouse (just more dummies) and move my guys near the river back towards the fight. I manage to get a cloaked 4-4-7 into Z's house and kill at G 1/2 squad in ambush so I'm still cloaked. V3 are dummies. U3 are real G units.

In G2, MikeP bugs out of U3 and consildates in P's house. He preps on a 6-2-8 (cloaked) in V0 and first makes him fanatic and then makes him beserk. Should be fun in the next MP. :)

So after 2 turns, I captured the river and part of the board edge back and have the warehouse complex. MikeP has moved a whole friggin company on board with some guys in Pavlov's house and some on the board edge. Gonna be fun the next few turns. :)

M\

PS
I'd also like to mention that we had other ASL action going on. Guy is a newbie and he played Steve in 'Purple Heart Lane'. From what I hear it was pretty cool and Guy ended up winning at the end. Way to go Guy and hopefully we have another player in our area. ;-)

Last edited:

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most of the action was in the north and Mike executed the plan very well. We had a huddle in the afternoon and 4 hours later we were in it. I had my best success where the Germans cover terrain with dummies. This let me re-take the Theater and O48 in the south and rubble in the center (S27-T27).

I was also able to pretty easily take out the bogged StuG in turn 1 in CC. It was a gimme'. The harder fight is along both sides of Bolshayavitskaya. I easily took Q31 from dummies but walked into an 8FP AP minefield to do it and haven't been inclined to be attacked again on the way out. Cloaked 5-2-7s lead the way on the other side of the street. I killed a 5-4-8 in HtH with a 'bush in Q34 but hosed the ambush in Q33. The melee with the 5-4-8 there woke up the neighbors including an 8-3-8/FT/9-1 in P36. I lucked out as Mike mentioned when the Engineers turned the wrong knob on the FT and rolled a 10 for effects. But, these guys soon added to the melee in Q33 and killed my dudes. The 5-2-7 in Q34 tried to drive the attack into P36 (now occupied by a 4-6-7) but I rolled poorly and died. Other spot of success in this sector was in killing the wd'd 8-1/2-4-7 in R34 cellar (a pocket from 15D). The trouble is I did not get ambush and had to reveal my squad which removed the no move counter from more Germans across the street.

Death toll so far:
German: 1xStuG III B, 1x5-4-8, 2.5x4-6-8, 1x4-6-7, 1x8-1
Russian: 3x5-2-7

It was a good start. Only 2 other things occurred of note: Mike P seemed rather surprised Russians were entering from offboard. When he enquired I said, "Didn't you read the rules?" Dr. D thought we should record that. I figured if he had not I'd only get away with it once.

Dr. D also was using chemical weapons (poison gas) against us. The Germans claim this was retaliation for garlic-beer belching in the past but we feel the attack was unprovoked. So I lit some Hadji incense. It was better than playing ASL in MOPP-4.:gas:

Check out the screen shots. You can see the before and after.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey folks,

We got through turn 5.5 tonight on 15N. Not a whole lot to report as there was mainly a lot of shuffling around. Up north, I completed the capture of the warehouse area and am attempting to consolidate. I actually manage to capture Z's house briefly but since MikeP has at least a company in and around P's house, he quickly took it back.

Up north, I have definitely lost more squads than Mike tonight as I had 2 squads get vaporized. One was a fanatice 6-2-8 who was beserk. He boxcared a 2MC and was gone. Later on a 4-4-7 was was attempting to get into some CC attracted a lot of prep fire and survived it all until MikeP broke out the 150mm gun and rolled snakes. Bye bye 4-4-7. So far I think I took out a single 2-4-8. But I have decent control of the warehouse, the river and up to about row T on the map edge.

Jim and Dr D were duking it out down south but I don't think a lot changed hands. I'm sure Jim will have his report and hopefully some pics and the death toll.

Thanks,
M

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the south the Russians have been contending with a German counterattack and some attempts by my Russians to regain the initiative. I think I am guilty of under resourcing the attack in the center along Bolshayavitskaya.

In Q31 I have a 4-4-7 stuck in a 8FP AP minefield hex. He eventually got broken in turn 4. There's a death star w/a 9-2 in Q28 that I think had something to do w/that. Interesting obscure rules note here is B31.142. Mines setup in hexes w/a narrow street hex side must be placed on map revealed. Now having found the rule Dr.D revealed more 8FP AP mines in P30 so heading any furth up that block would probably not be a good idea. In G3 Brian comes at me w/dummies in P31 and a concealed 3-3-8 in Q32. Q31 shoots and reveals the dummies but the 3-3-8 jumped my cloaker in R31. Not a good idea. They get bushed (all the usual nasty mods +1 cx, +1 lax for Germs, -1 stealthy Russians, everyone at -2 ?) and killed. In R5 I try and push the cloaker across the street to take the gap left by the dead 3-3-8 but a sqd/MMG in L29 tags me and I roll one of many "11" MCs so my guys goes script and runs away.

Across the street things are even hairier. I had a 4-4-7/captured MG in R34.C. In prep I destroy the MMG b/c shooting it is only instant sniper baiting. I figure, I'll hunker down in the fortified location and Brian will waste a couple of shots blasting at me in the dark. Well, that's all good except Brian's dice are hotter than mine Tuesday night so I created another broken script in R3 DF. Here's the real interesting part. There's also a 4-6-7/MG in S35.C as well as the 9-1/8-3-8/5-4-8/ATR in R33 who just shot him. It is a rout problem from hell. See E1.54 I can't rout nearer to a KEU so he can't go up to level 0. He can't die for FTR either so we played, he stays put. In G3 he gets jumped in CC which should be a lay up (I'm withdrawing, broken, lax) exept Brian rolled 6,6 on the attack so I withdrew to S35.C where the attackers came from. All this did was waste time (which is still fine) b/c he eventually died in G4 (in CC IIRC).

Brian activated a killstack w/a 9-1/4-6-7/MMG/4-4-7 in Q37. I foolishly take the bait and blast him from across the street in S38.1 w/a 9-2/.50 cal/4-5-8. Roll a 10 or smtg. The attack back results in a 2MC and the 9-2 blows it BTW - this is an NKVD strongpoint, so his ML is now 10. I do not see it going up 2 levels even w/NKVDs ADJACENT by the way I read V CG11.1c. However, when he rallies he'll lose DM as if w/a Commissar. "So I got that going for me."

I staged a counterattack to get back into the S35 block in R5. A cloaked 4-5-8/MMG broke in T34 but I think I got a 4-4-7 into S34 or S35, but he's CX. IIRC he killed a 2-4-7 in CC but now he's also facing the 4-6-7/MMG in R34.C and a 9-1/8-3-8/5-4-8/ATR in the block as well. Not good a good local force ratio for the Russkies.

Death toll at end of R5:
German: 1xStuG III B, 1x3-3-8, 1x5-4-8, 3x4-6-8, 1.5x4-6-7, 1x8-1
Russian: 3x5-2-7, 3x4-4-7,1x6-2-8

We'll pick it back up on Spet 10th. The night scenario goes fast b/c we're not fighting everywhere. The mental shift into night fighting mode is not difficult either. As the Russian player in RB or VotG you need to just get comfortable w/night rules and go for it.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The mental shift into night fighting mode is not difficult either. As the Russian player in RB or VotG you need to just get comfortable w/night rules and go for it.
Yep. You want to learn Night rules? Play an RB or VotG campaign game. With several Night scenarios thrown in there...when it's all over you will never be afraid of the dark again....:)

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Our 15N scenario ended last night with a Russian victory (next gain 11 stone hexes) in G6. I posted the perimeter. There may be an error or 2 that needs adjustment but you get the gist. The Russians retook and held the northern board edge, the Warehouse, and Flour Mill.

Death toll at end of G6:
German: 1xStuG III B, 1x3-3-8, 1.5x5-4-8, 3x4-6-8, 3.5x4-6-7, 1x2.3.7, 1x8-1
Russian: 3x5-2-7, 5x4-4-7,1.5x6-2-8

We had 6,6 WC DRs for G5 and R6 so it was gusty and NVR increased to 5 and then 6 hexes.

Up north the Germans pushed south a bit until they ran into a HIP 6-2-8/HMG/8-0 in U9. They also tried to mount a counterattack in G6 to retake the Warehouse but Gorgon gave them a "whiff of 76*".

Down south I lost the 4 hexes R33-R34-S34-S35. Everyone died when the 4-6-7/MMG jumped my CX 4-4-7 in S35 in HtH CC in G5. My 9-2 rallied in S38 and he directed an NKVD/HMG in G5 DF to blast the guys who shot him. This killed the 5-4-8/4-6-7 in Q37 and wounded the 9-1. He just had a tear of rof. In R6 the same units broke a 5-4-8/4-6-7 in R36.

I moved some cloakers to claim some bonus stone hexes in R6 in the center along hexrow T on a hunch they were dummies. They were. I easily gained T25 but a 50mm mtr got a CH which broke my other cloaker in U22.

So now we refit. Hope to start 16D next Thursday.

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Breaking news. The Germans went idle for 16D! As Dr. D put it, "There's just not enough guys on the ground."

Time to get some more toys and come up w/some other deviousness. We should pickup 17D on Thursday.

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
17D began last night. The Germans launched their attack w/their main effort in the center sector b/t rows 16 and 32 with 2 kompanies up suppoted by a StuG III B platoon and their infantry gun battery. The north has been probing but not really attack yet and the south is just quiet. The attack began with reconaissance. The Germans spent 2 extra CPP to make sure the target locations they were going to tag were real. This was our skirmish line. Then they moved forward.

For the most part, my dice in G1 $ucked. It happens. My FL from the MMG in U31 broke on 2d shot (altho' it was after everyone else AM'd). I caught Mike moving a platoon in a stack in S19 w/a nice hex spine shot from a HIP 9-1/HMG/4-5-8. So, that created a berserker and broke 1 sqd IIRC. By R1 I broke the HMG. Both the MMG and HMG I X'd out by G2. Oh yea, way hot!

Naturally the first DF was OBA. I red carded the 70+ deck but the 80+ came down 2 hexes south of target in T22 (pre reg in T20). I was able to adjust it to their in R1. Effects were OK eventually but spetcaular for Germans. Dr. D created 2x fanatic 5-4-8 and a hero in S23. We had some decent mortar shots from defilade positions with good LOS that were a mixed bag of results. We did a lot of skulking. In DF German 80+ OBA hit W32 bldg and killed the HIP 6+1 observering for the 70+ OBA and a CH in the basement of W31 killed the 8-1 ldr (but the 4-5-8/HMG passes the MC). It also reveelad the HIP 9-2/4-5-8/.50 cal combo inW32.1. The Luftwaffe took out my 45LL crew in BB26.

Our SAN was pretty active in R1 but got pinned in G2. Booby traps are now level A and we got a HS kill w/that. That sucked. Since the .50 cal was revealed I used that to good effect against a stack in S28. Decent rate and DRs. My dice finally turned.

I'll get some pics up on Monday. Right now German losses are 3x4-6-7, 1x3-3-8 and Russian losses are: 2x4-5-8, 6+1, 8-1, 2-2-8.

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As promised, here are updated pics.

Some other events of note, the Germans in the north just grabbed some adjacent terrain and stopped. A single unit ran through the U3 and Y3 bldgs grabbing it all back after finally flushing out the dummy counters.

I made a berserker 4-4-7/LMG in G2 in hex X27. He'll be running the gauntlet in R2.

The Germans drew a second red chit on their other OBA in G2 DF. That'll be retained since it never had an FFE.

Maybe Mike has more to add. It looked like he was taking better notes. I was too busy rolling cr@ppy.:D

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really don't have much to add what Jim said. I don't think I fired a weapon on my front. MikeP's prep fire revealed several of my dummies and he moved up a hex or two but then stopped. All of my movement in R1 was to mainly get my guys out of the basements (since I was expecting a bombardment).

My notes shows that snipers were almost even with 1 x 1 for each us and 3 x 2 for the Russians and 2 x 2 for the Germans. We also got the booby trap as Jim mentioned. We started R2 this week so hopefully I'll have more on Thu night or Fri morning.

M

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi folks,

We did more of 17D tonight so here are the notes I took. My front up North is fairly quiet so I had the opportunity to take some notes tonight. Granted this is after Jim and I went to a beer tasting for an hour or so before the game so take it with a grain of salt (or hops).

First off, the snipers. According to my records:

Russians had 6 chances w/ 2 x 1 and 2 x 2
Germans had 4 chances w/ zip

R2:
Rally:
Snakes on the weather sets up a mild breeze in direction 6.

Prep:
our 80mm OBA (our other OBA red carded out) does a barrage centered on T20 and only gets a pin result. Rest of our prep is ineffective.

Movement:
  • Russian 4-5-8 beserker gets vaporized.
  • I shift units around in the NKVD house, except I send 1 squad towards the Center
  • Brian (German) breaks 2 MMGs on boxcars during FF.
  • A Stuka attack on BB38 first pins, then breaks/reduces (boxcars), the a 3MC kills a squad running towards the Center.
Def Fire:
  • German OBA stays in W32 but is ineffective.
  • 2nd stuka does nada
  • 3rd stuka crits on a bomb attack to vaporize a 8-0 and 4-5-8 in X28. It was so bad, we had to look up 'heavy payload' rules. :)
  • Russian sniper pins 5-4-8 in U11 which is a melee vs a 4-5-8. (nice!)
  • Y19 lvl2 gets pummeled and eventually breaks. Takes a lot of fire though.
Rest of turn is uneventful as there is some advance and routes and none of the melees are resolved.

G3:
Rally gets 1 Stuka for the Germans. The Germans also rally a bunch of their guys.

Prep:
German OBA breaks a leader and squad in W32. Otherwise is not too effective.

DFF is ineffective.

During Advance, MikeP puts a 1-2-7 crew into the pillbox melee in U11.

During CC, the 4-5-8 in U11 gets reduced, but kills the 1-2-7. (nice!)
A german beserker who made it to Y18 dies (2-4-8).

R3:
During rally, the Russians manage to rally several dudes.

Prep:
My 82mm MTR in CC16.2 goes on a ROF tear and ends up killing a 4-6-7 and breaks a 4-6-7 but creates a hero in the process.
A FG from Y18-Y19 gets a MC and the German squad boxcars to get reduced.

Movement:
I shift a 6-2-8 towards the brewery. Jim shuffles. We both skulk when possible.

DFF:
Brian gets a great roll from a StuG and kills a Russian 9-2 in W32.
MikeP fires everyone at CC16 and finally manages to break the crew manning the 82mm MTR;which routes downstairs.

Russian sniper breaks 5-4-8 in U11 PB melee.

AdF: nada
Route: everyone routes

Adv: We skulk back and I move a 4-4-7 towards the PB in U11.

CC:
My halfsquad in U11 kills the busted 5-4-8.

In summary, we're about even in losses. The Germans continue their push up the middle, but I think we held out pretty good this past 1.5 turns as they have not advanced a whole lot. The North is very quiet as I have not exposed my guys and MikeP has not moved beyond his main line. The South is pretty quiet but Jim and Brian are taking shots at each other.

Next week will be G4. Still several turns left in this day and it's anyone's guess on what will happen. We're playing on Tue next week so hopefully we'll have an update on Tue night or Wed morning.

One last note: Jim has been rolling like crap the past two sessions (sorry Jim, but it's true. Sacrifice a chicken or something). MikeP must have rolled 12+ three's and 4 snake eyes tonight. MikeP is obviously hot right now. Ask him what his football picks are!

G

PS
Any other CGs going on out there? Posting was pretty quiet over the summer so I'm curious if anyone else is picking up their CGs with cooler weather coming.

Last edited:

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here’s my take on R2 thru R3 last night. All the initial rallies were mine. I got the 1-2-7 in S39.1 to wake up but Z23 and W34.C wouldn’t play. The 2 surviving German HSs in S28 recovered the HMGs and generally spend all of the evening humping them around.

Yes, might dice have started the past 2 evening like complete cr@p. My first DR of the evening was snakes creating the mild breeze. Within 5 mins I had also rolled a bunch of 11s and 1 or 2 6,6s. I am not one to complain about dice tho’. Especially in a CG where it will even out in the long run. But I should get some voodoo as a backup plan.

The main things I had to accomplish initially I did successfully. I placed smoke in Q40 to cover any movement across Lomonosovskaya. I got 80+mm OBA try access and placed a barrage FFE:1 on the board. Pre-reg is in T20 and it drifted 1 hex dir 3 to U21. No spectacular results but it added another +1 hindrance to the infantry gun battery and other remaining hosers behind it supporting the main German effort. Otherwise, my PF was all no effect.
I kicked off movement with the berserk 4-4-7/LMG in X27. I targeted the StuG in U29 rather than the death star in V25. Didn’t matter too much, 1st D1F at him he shrugged off but the second was ridiculous, 2,1 DR on 12FP. Scratch him and the LMG. I transitioned from this to the more subtle moves I had in mind. Concealed squads moved across Lomonosovskaya (in eventually advanced into the Theater, the other into the dummies in P44). A bunch of stacks north of the Univermag moved out of cellars and west to eventually attack into S34-S35 in R3.

Then I got a little too aggressive moving in the backfield when the Germans had 3 stukas available. First 4-5-8 in Z40 double times. He gets a 1MC from an MG attack. I rolls boxcars and the bomb finished off the rest of the lot. Second victim Mike described: 8-0 and 4-5-8 in X28. I put them there out of LOS of the death stars but it didn’t matter. 3rd stuka tries for the KV-1 tank in Y22 who dropped concealment to shoot but they miss their sighting TC.
Brian continues to hammer W32-W31 with 80+ OBA and 2 StuGs but so far I hold out alright with a 4-5-8/HMG in W31.C and the 9-2/4-5-8/.50 cal inW32.1. The other German DF worthy of note in R2 is the 2-4-8/mtr in Y19.2 gets broken by a German fire group running from W22 thru W24.

I will note I drew first blood for the Russians last night. I had 2x AF shots. The first is a 4/2 FP +1 shot from Y25 at the 4-6-7 sneaking up on my KV-1 caused a 1MC (so I must’ve rolled a 2 or 3 DR). Dr. D draws boxcars. We have a HS on the board. The S32 to R30 shot was NE. I also got second blood jumping a 2-3-7 in R31. ‘Bush, HtH CC, done.

To give you a feel for what it was like at this point, we’re about 1 hour in. The Germans are attacking in G3 and random selection in my playlist has Metallica playing “Seek and Destroy.” Mike suggests we put no some Joan Baez to diminish the German attack mojo. My 10-0 rally factory in Z19 puts a 4-5-8 and the 2-4-8 back in action. We’re gonna need ‘em.

Mike’s note on the German prep does not do justice to the event. The 80+ OBA FFE:C breaks the 9-2 b/c I roll 5,5 on a 2MC (rout to cellar). Dammit! So this is the way it’s gonna go? I resign myself to it. The StuGs take their shots for NE as well. I may have shrugged off a 1MC in W31.C. W31-W32 is officially the “House of Pain.”

There’s not really any bold German movement aside from the berserk HS in Y18. No juicy targets. The berserker targeted Y18. We had guys on line from Y17 thru Y20. Long story short: the berserker survived all D1F and got ambushed and killed in HtH CC.

I adjusted the 80+ OBA barrage back toward the Russian lines. I targeted W20 but it drifts in X21. No effects but now we have the hindrance between most German direct fire in the center sector. IIRC I had a shot from Z19 w/a 9-1 ldr that broke and CR’d a squad in W21.

Brian decides to take back P44. He’s got 2x4-6-7s and an 8-1 vs my lone 4-5-8.They kill me and I take a HS from him. I have a melee going in T30 that he reinforces. IIRC I CR a 2-4-7 from him in this and the melee continues.
In R4 I still can’t SR W34.C. They are all smoking crack by their MMG. 9-2 ldr can’t wake up in W32.C. I drew another black chit for the 80+ OBA and call back, “Repeat, over” to the mortar teams. FFE:1/2 barrage continues as is. My KV-1 got a good hit on a 4-6-7 in W23 who then battle hardens. That’s at least the 3rd BH Dr. D has rolled.

However, his dice streak the other way in DF. Phone contact 6,6. “What do you mean you didn’t bring any more batteries for the AN/GR-39 <field phone>?” (This is the kind of stuff enlisted guys will do all day to new LTs n a training environment.) So now an unobstructed StuG shot hits W32.C. Effects DR is“1,2” =K/3. RS picks the ldr to get the K and kills the 9-2 when I roll “6” for wound severity. The 4-5-8 passed the 3MC but breaks on the LLMC. He routes to the rear after being shot at in that hex for 4 turns.

We skulk like it’s going out of style. The death stars in the center don’t get any effects on their concealed targets. In CC I CR’d the HS in T30. It’s now a melee b/t my 4-5-8 vs. a 4-4-7. Sometime around now, Mike P. realizes they did not use the 1 stuka they got this turn. Dr. D is OK with writing it off. I figure, what the heck, give him the mulligan. Sighting TC is a hot SAN activation. The northern sniper goes to U9. RS of 4 possible targets hits both the 9-2 and a 5-4-8. “Hey, look! A stuka!” _BAM, right in the head. We did forget to do the LLMC (I remembered that in the wee hours last night) and I don’t know if we’ll bother or not.

So, on that note, then evening came to a close. See attached pics for present positions. Death toll:
German losses: 1x3-3-8, 1x5-4-8, 7x4-6-7, 1x1-2-7, 9-2 (22CVP)
Russian losses: 5x4-5-8, 2x4-4-7, 1x2-2-8, 6+1, 8-1, 8-0, 9-2 (23 CVP)

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We skulk like it’s going out of style. The death stars in the center don’t get any effects on their concealed targets. In CC I CR’d the HS in T30. It’s now a melee b/t my 4-5-8 vs. a 4-4-7. Sometime around now, Mike P. realizes they did not use the 1 stuka they got this turn. Dr. D is OK with writing it off. I figure, what the heck, give him the mulligan. Sighting TC is a hot SAN activation. The northern sniper goes to U9. RS of 4 possible targets hits both the 9-2 and a 5-4-8. “Hey, look! A stuka!” _BAM, right in the head. We did forget to do the LLMC (I remembered that in the wee hours last night) and I don’t know if we’ll bother or not.
Without a doubt, this event is my biggest PMC moment of the CG, so far. I had "9-2" imprinted on my mind until I was able to drop off to sleep.

"Dr. D is OK with writing it off.", I admit was true, but the attack WAS vs an AFV target that was openly discussed by the Germans in front of the Russians during Dfire. It was hardly a terrible violation of a.2, which we will certainly NOT be invoking re the LLMC. I'll take my full-dosage of ASL, bad or good.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There’s not really any bold German movement aside from the berserk HS in Y18. No juicy targets. The berserker targeted Y18. We had guys on line from Y17 thru Y20. Long story short: the berserker survived all D1F and got ambushed and killed in HtH CC.
He shouldn't have been ambushed unless you'd advanced someone else in with him :eek:

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He shouldn't have been ambushed unless you'd advanced someone else in with him
Yeah, I was thinking there was no ambush possible there. Thought ambush depended on units advancing into CC. In any case, it would not of mattered to the beserker staying alive. The roll was plenty low to kill him without an ambush modifier.

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was hardly a terrible violation of a.2, which we will certainly NOT be invoking re the LLMC.
I'm good with that b/c my rolls already $uck too badly for me to be provoking the dice gods any further. I'm going to need to sacrifice something bigger than a chicken. Maybe a goat will suffice.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hate say it Jim, but you may have to sacrifice something closer to your heart. You may have to sacrifice, dare I say it, a beer!

Naw, screw that. The dice'll come back. :)