Comments about a book for ASL

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

I just had delivered to me the "Scenario Designers Guide" by our favorite Canadian Mike Dorosh.

I have done a very quick scan through the book and I am "amazed" at the amount of info available inside this book.

Others, if you have purchased this book, please let us hear what your thoughts are.

Derf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two thumbs way up. :thumup: :thumup: A great resource. I find new things almost every time I open it. :coolban:

My only complaint is the small print for the TOE tables. I have to break out the glasses to read it.

Derf

fwheel73

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

I just had delivered to me the "Scenario Designers Guide" by our favorite Canadian Mike Dorosh.

I have done a very quick scan through the book and I am "amazed" at the amount of info available inside this book.

Others, if you have purchased this book, please let us hear what your thoughts are.
Kevin,
This is an excellent book to have and refer to. If you will do a search there were several threads that talked about this book. I remember there was an excellent review from the folks at "View from the Trenches."

If you are only looking at a borrowed copy I recommend that you add Mike's book it to your ASL library--I have-- along with the other designer guide.

Best regards,:salute:
John

Reaction score
My understanding is that Dorosh included a lot of information that is useful in modelling for other game systems, such as the combatant's OOB, unit composition, etc. Is this correct?

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kevin,
This is an excellent book to have and refer to. If you will do a search there were several threads that talked about this book. I remember there was an excellent review from the folks at "View from the Trenches."

If you are only looking at a borrowed copy I recommend that you add Mike's book it to your ASL library--I have-- along with the other designer guide.

Best regards,:salute:
John
John,

Thanks for the recommendations. I have it still in the plastic wrapping. Real world issues (giving my dying lawn water) & baby-sitting the G-kids has given me li'l time to read it.

Once I have time, I'll see what exactly is inside. Maybe tonight; since all the G-kids are asleep.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it is an excellent resource for scenario design.
Plus my SPR scenario is in it too!

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it is an excellent resource for scenario design.
Plus my SPR scenario is in it too!
Mr Drake,

Are you "sure" your SPR scenario was not "copied" into this book? I think there are too MANY SPR scenarios in THIS book.

Also, this book mentions the German Panzer Division "Tatra"; has anyone ANY info on this unit?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My understanding is that Dorosh included a lot of information that is useful in modelling for other game systems, such as the combatant's OOB, unit composition, etc. Is this correct?
If there is a combatant nation you are particularly interested in, send me an email (the forum has a feature where you can access my address) and I can electronically send you some sample pages of the book for you to see if it is something you would be interested in.

My only complaint is the small print for the TOE tables. I have to break out the glasses to read it.
Thanks for that; I've considered doing a new edition with improved tables and higher-resolution artwork for some of the diagrams, plus improved formatting and layout. This kind of feedback is extremely useful. I don't know that I'll ever get around to doing this, but even if not, it will certainly help guide decisions in future projects.

Given the volatility of your G-kids digestive tracts, and your apparent proximity to them, Kevin, perhaps keeping the plastic wrap on for a few months may not be a bad idea...

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Mike,

Be very careful opening the emails from his "normal" email address.

BIG Brother has attached a "secret" code to monitor WHO opens his "messages"....

BEWARE.......... :p
I still have the bomb squad sniffing YOUR emails, Kev, in anticipation of reading your thoughtful prose. His will have to wait.

I also have the exterminators on stand-by; they're still trying to figure out why you call yourself the OFF SQUAD.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, and it has two free scenarios, too!
Wow; you, sir-and let me say I truly am enraptured by your scintillatingly thought-provoking and intelligent posts-have cut to the quick of the practice of including something for free within the dissertation of the probability of mice reproducing in Richard Gere's sphinctal regions! Of course, Stalingrad being cliché and all, my experience playing COD (the fish, not the gamette), in the absence and total disdain of "fish smell" in my personal inclinations, leads me to the inevitable and, let's face it, starkly obvious, conclusion that these scenarios are not, in fact, free, but cost the unsuspecting consumer 3% of 1 cent!!

Unbelievable!! The cheek, to think he would try to slip that one by someone, as modestly and humbly as I can, as intuitively astute as I am!!

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow; you, sir-and let me say I truly am enraptured by your scintillatingly thought-provoking and intelligent posts-have cut to the quick of the practice of including something for free within the dissertation of the probability of mice reproducing in Richard Gere's sphinctal regions! Of course, Stalingrad being cliché and all, my experience playing COD (the fish, not the gamette), in the absence and total disdain of "fish smell" in my personal inclinations, leads me to the inevitable and, let's face it, starkly obvious, conclusion that these scenarios are not, in fact, free, but cost the unsuspecting consumer 3% of 1 cent!!

Unbelievable!! The cheek, to think he would try to slip that one by someone, as modestly and humbly as I can, as intuitively astute as I am!!
Stunning!! Will you bear my children?

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stunning!! Will you bear my children?
I would, but I may have to decline. I will opt instead for your never-ending adulation of my unadulterated cleverness and rapier-sharp wit as I cruise in solitary magnificence ever-watchful of abuses and trangressions, on this forum, my sole reason for existence, smiting those whom the indolent moderators, in contravention of all laws of science and nature, allow to run unfestered as boils on the arse of this forum.

Despite what Edna says, I shall unfurl my cape against the winds of injustice and the beat back the storms wherever they try to form!!