VotG CG IV: The North Shore Open

Bortass

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi folks,

First, Happy Memorial Day to our American readers and service people. (this was supposed to be posted last night) :)

Turn 2 brings up the first instance of Staligrad fun with some CC action which breaks about even. I make my first mistake and leave a unit at Level 1 a little too long. He ends up getting smoked. Meanwhile, I pull my real unit back from the Central rail station and leave some dummies to cover him. One of the dummies gets jumped by a German squad but I win ambush so I withdraw away to be even more distracting. :) I'm trying to lure MikeP into moving into our OBA surprise.

Thanks,
MikeS

Very interesting. Dummies can't roll for ambush. They can't withdraw even if they could. Only Infantry can withdraw and a dummy is not Infantry.

ASOP 8.11B which is the first step of a locations CC phase states that Dummies are eliminated since that's when you state the Strength Factors. Dummies have none and are eliminated per A11.19.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very interesting. Dummies can't roll for ambush. They can't withdraw even if they could. Only Infantry can withdraw and a dummy is not Infantry.
You are quite correct and we double checked the rules tonight to confirm. My Bad(tm). Luckily it didn't affect the game as MikeP figured out they were dummies eventually and took them out. Thanks for the tip though. :)

M

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We started 14N tonight. Only got 1 turn in as most of the night was setup but I'll give what highlights I can.

R1:
Jim does an attack in the O42 block. The effect so far is the loss of a German 4-6-7 due to ambush in CC and a Russian 5-2-7 due to a 12 on a 1MC and then the 2-2-7 getting toasted in DFF. A Russian sniper (1) reveals German dummies in P27. A blaze lvl0 of L7 spreads a flame to lv1 (blaze left over from 14D).

I move a few units in the North and Center but have so far avoided his NVR. No Illumination at all in this turn.

G1:
Not much in Prep, a 4-4-7 in R39 gets pinned. During Movement a 5-2-7 breaks a 4-6-7 in Q43. During DFF, Jim calls down the rockets. The pre-reg was N42 but they drift to Q41. It does the following:

o P39: 4-6-7 breaks
o R39: Russian 4-4-7 breaks
o P40: shellholes created
o O40: 4-6-7 pins + a 4-6-7 breaks in lvl2
o O42: 4-6-7 boxcars on 4MC and dies.
o Q41: shellholes

A Russian squad (5-2-7 I believe) dies in CC from a 4-6-7 and 9-1 leader. Flames are generated in L8 and M8. Looks like the Milchaus complex will be burnt down for 15D. No Illumination in this turn.

So the G1 causulties are a 4-6-7 and a 5-2-7, IIRC.

Thanks,
M

Last edited:

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What were the 14th night purchases for each side or is it still too early to reveal that info in these forums? Any Germans held offboard for freedom of movement? Shhhhhhh!!!!!! Don't mention Rockets though, I don't want Holmstrom getting any ideas. I don't like things on the far right of the IFT table blowing up my troops.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the dummies gets jumped by a German squad but I win ambush so I withdraw away to be even more distracting. :) I'm trying to lure MikeP into moving into our OBA surprise.
That's a no no. Dummies get revealed before ambush is rolled for.

Jim

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
During DFF, Jim calls down the rockets. The pre-reg was N42 but they drift to Q41. It does the following:

A Russian squad (5-2-7 I believe) dies in CC from a 4-6-7 and 9-1 leader. Flames are generated in L8 and M8. Looks like the Milchaus complex will be burnt down for 15D. No Illumination in this turn.

So the G1 causulties are a 4-6-7 and a 5-2-7, IIRC.

Thanks,
M
The ROBA drift was less helpful than I would've liked but killing one 4-6-7 (4MC boxcars) was nice. Someone asked last week about whether they had tried ROBA at night and I had to suppress any urge to reply. If it had drifted any further in direction 2 it would've hit the Univermag so the pre-reg was well worth it! Initially I drew a red chit so I didn't get it down for my initial moves into the O42 block. It was a good idea but dicey. My initial moving units were in P42-P43-P44 cellars b/c I anticipated the rockets drifting a little and wanted to come up from the cellars into the German locations for CC

We did get one other KIA - a 4-6-7 in HtH CC after I bushed them in that block. That worked as planned. Apply all the bush mods and take em' out in HtH.

It is too soon to share night purchases unfortunately. Those are more about 15D than 14N anyway.

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
4MC boxcars on a full squad should leave you with an ELR'ed half squad.

Boxcars is only a casualty reduction...

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
4MC boxcars on a full squad should leave you with an ELR'ed half squad.

Boxcars is only a casualty reduction...
He was already broken - it was a double whammy.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
how did you get the ROBA in there? extra chit draw? Was the location within NVR?
Yes the target was within NVR.

M

Last edited:

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now that is one ballsy FO... Could very well have been blasted into little bits.
I suppose they could deduce that the FO could have been blasted due to the NVR. But they still don't know where he is. Muahahahahahaha!

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was definitely a "danger close" fire mission. I would not cared if it landed right on the observer's head. It was a risk worth taking.

janusz.maxe

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So the ROBA broke a few squads on both sides, but what was the tactical effect. I think the ROBA needs to open a hole in the German line, and let the cloakers slip through into the enemy backfield, to be worthwhile. The costs is 4CPP, equal to 2 reserve smg-platoons. That's 6*6-2-8 squads for 15 day scenario. I'm thinking about it myself, but ain't sure it can be worth the price.

Janusz

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So the ROBA broke a few squads on both sides, but what was the tactical effect. I think the ROBA needs to open a hole in the German line, and let the cloakers slip through into the enemy backfield, to be worthwhile. The costs is 4CPP, equal to 2 reserve smg-platoons. That's 6*6-2-8 squads for 15 day scenario. I'm thinking about it myself, but ain't sure it can be worth the price.

Janusz
Take a look at the attached. The intended tactical effect was to disrupt and destroy the enemy to support the main effort. I would say it did not have that intended effect. I think the accuracy DR was the second worst it could have been (2,5). The only DR that would've sucked completely would have been 3,5 or 3,6. Maybe 4,5/4,6. Everything else was good. The pre-reg was in N42 and the Germans were densely packed in. I'd say we maximized our chances of success and the dice did not entirely cooperate.

We could not purchase any more IN on the 14th. So for 4CPP it seemed like a good deal to us. We almost saved it for the 15D scenario but we can always get more cheap OBA so why not use it?

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi folks,

For turn 1, the significant action is that we manage to kill a StuG and so far, no Stukas.

In turn 2, Dr D and MikeP confirm that they didn't purchase Stukas. Interesting. In all of the AARs I've read, the German player almost always buys the rotating Stukas and says it really helps keep the Russian player pinned down. Well, I'm sure our crafty opponents have a method to their madness which will become apparent as the CG moves on.

Turn 2 brings up the first instance of Staligrad fun with some CC action which breaks about even. I make my first mistake and leave a unit at Level 1 a little too long. He ends up getting smoked. Meanwhile, I pull my real unit back from the Central rail station and leave some dummies to cover him. One of the dummies gets jumped by a German squad but I win ambush so I withdraw away to be even more distracting. :) I'm trying to lure MikeP into moving into our OBA surprise.

The biggest thing of turn 2 is that the Geramns make their reinforcement dr and a company moves in to the North. I guess I'm gonna have to fight up there after all.

The Germans continue their push in Turn 3. MikeP reaches our OBA surprise in the Center and our barrage goes off perfectly breaking 2.5 squads. For the next 3.5 turns, the barrage really slows things down in the middle. It's not until I pull a 2nd red card in turn 7 that it's gone and the Germans in the middle can effectively cross the street. Great call by Jim on the barrage. :)

The Russians roll double ones on our reinforcement DR and we are quite happy. These guys come up from the South and can be used to help slow down Dr Death's push. A platoon also books it up towards the Center as MikeP is starting to make some progress just South of our Commander's dividing line. With no Stukas we can do this. :)
Here are some pics some 14D to go with Mike's narrative. Playing a little catch up...Jim

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, we are at my place in Beverly in the basement on a big old train table. It needs a name like the Bunker crew has out in western MA. Some possibilities:

"The FOB"
"Das Bierkellar"
"The Baltika Room"

I need to take the wheels off the train table. The Germans push on the table and Mike Sprague literally has his back against the wall by the end of the night as they slowly roll it towards him.

Jim

janusz.maxe

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I still don't get it. The board edge runner is 15 hexes from startup area. Southern reinforcements can't enter until next turn. Only way to get there is to double time with leader and then cheat some.

janusz