ASL Scandinavian Open 2009 scenario list

Stacks

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
uhm.... seems like my clarifications didn't clarify everything that well ... so I appreciate your help to get things ... clear.

So where do I start.. Mel, I can't see any real difference between your wordings and mine except for Die Gurkha Die, where your wording " may add a DC" would allow the Japanese player not to include the DC in his OB :) .
That would be true:D, but the simple point I´m making is that the Japanese player may chose which group he wants to give an additional DC.

Totsugeki; I can see that there might be a problem with the original VC if the Japanse player also have a SMC in the hex, but does your clarification take into consideration that a Japanese MMC retaining ? will be Good Order even if there was Chinese units in the hex after CC is resolved?
Good point, missed that one. This updated suggestion is better.

Victory Conditions: The Japanese win at game end if all
three 75mm Guns are eliminated/captured/in hexes with at least
one Good Order Japanese MMC and no armed chinese units.

Lets Dance; I think the wording suggested by Mel about crest line LOS is more clear, but the "all hexes of overlay Wd 5 is at level -1" came from Klas and my playing of the scenario. That is the way we played it, and I can see now that it isn't right. Hex T9 and S10 is at level 0. So where does the crestline go between -1 and 0 then, along the hexspine S10/S9, S9/T9 and T8/T9 ?
Didn´t really understand the end of this text until repeated reading of it - but now I probably do, here is a some rule text that
should explain why you played it wrong before:
A valley is depicted by dark green background in obvious contrast to the lighter green used to represent ground level Open Ground.
Since the overlays have a lightgreen background they all are at ground level.

Will clarify in next post why the ABS now used, is unclear (or say, need to much common sense).

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacks

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
RPT25 Cornwall´s Rum Ration
G1 Add 6x ? to British OB = Add 6x ? to the British on-board force.

May the concealment counters be split between the two British forces?
should you agree before using the ABS where the Counters may be used?
---------------------------

AP31 First Cristot
G1 Add a 2-4-7 to the British OB = Add a 2-4-7 HS to the British Infantry force.
B1 Add a 3-4-8 to German OB = Add a 3-4-8 HS to the German Infantry force.

Should the German/British player be allowed to add his HS anywhere to
their OB.
------------------------------------

FrF30 Bidermann´s Escape
G1 Add a 2-2-8 crew to Russian OB = Add a 2-2-8 crew to the Russian on-board force.

Do the Crew enter as a Rider (on-foot), or setup and how do you decide it,

SP80 Die Gurkha Die!
G2 Add a DC to Japanese OB = The Japanese player may add a DC to his OB.

Do the Gurkha player decides which Japanese group receive the DC, since he
gave the DC (balance) to the Japanese? or did the Japanese player received the DC and thereby is allowed to decide the matter :devious:
---------------------------------

AP37 Apples to Apples
A1 Add a 348 to the German OB = Add a 3-4-8 HS to the German Infantry force.

Do the German player decide which group to add his HS to, meaning if you want to able to HIP within the restricted set-up area he might consider to
add the HS to the German group that in its set up instructions is allowed to use HIP.
---------------------------------

DB67 Let´s Dance
B3 Add a 3-3-8 to the German OB = Increase the number of 3-3-8 HS by one in the German OB.

May the German player decide which group between the two his HS will be part of?

FrF29 Sting of The Italian Hornet
C1 exchange two 3-4-6 for two 4-4-7 in Italian OB = Italian player replace any two Italian 3-4-6 squads with two 4-4-7.

-----------------------
Now it should be appreciated if you could confirm and clarify the ABS by simple agreeing (or not) with what is suggested above and below
(The written text on the ASO site = suggested clarification of its intent).

SP164 Tanks But No Tanks
P1 delete a LMG from Polish OB = The Polish player delete one LMG from his OB.
P2 exchange two 4-5-8 to two 4-5-7 in Polish OB = Polish player replace two Polish 4-5-8 squads with two 4-5-7.

FrF26 A Polish Requiem
G2 exchange any three 4-5-7 for three 4-5-8 in Polish OB = Polish player replace three Polish 4-5-7 squads with three 4-5-8.

Stacks

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Cornwell´s Rum Ration - will probably see very little play unless
the VCs is clarified soon enough (like today).

Stacks

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Cornwell's Rum Ration; I was under the impression that the MTR rule was a erratta, but if it isn't then the clarification should be deleted. Regarding the VC then it wasn't my plan to change it, I just plainly forgot about the tanks ability to gain hex control. I will change the wording.

any other problems ?

thanks

Michael
The article writer seems to suggest that it should be issued as an errata in the future, although the present MTR 76mm probably represent the less (historically) effect derived from this MTR than other nation`s 80+mm MTRs.

The British 95mm gun-tube with its poor performance should probably only
be allowed to use the 12 FPc (24 FPc - Critical Hit) and not as now
be allowed to use the 16 FPc (30 FPc - Critical Hit) or if you prefer to use the IIFT
be allowed to use the 19 FPc (36 FPc - Critical Hit).

But this will probably never come as an errata, or for any other British Guns.

hastrup

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llDenmark
Mel, I have decided to use your suggested ABS clarifications as official ASO ABS, and they will be changed on our website.

Cornwells Rum Ration;
The 76* Errata will be deleted and the new VC are the one suggested by Klas; delete "Dismounted British Vehicle Crews may not gain control of Building Hexes" and add " only non- vehicular crew MMC may gain control of Building hexes"

Totsugeki;
I will use the last one suggested by you; with last part of VC saying; "...or in hexes occupied with at least one Good Order Japanese MMC and no armed Chinese unit(s)"

Lets Dance; "Delete ; all hexes of overlay WD5 is at level -1." instead use; "Hexes oT9 and oS10 are at level 0 while the three other hexes are at level -1. Crestline between level 0 and -1 is running along hexspines ; S10/R9, S10/S9, S9/T9, T8/T9.

Hope this is it :)

Michael

These changes will be on the ASL Scandinavian Open website within a few days, see
www.asl-so.dk

Stacks

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
.....Lets Dance; .....use; "Hexes oT9 and oS10 are at level 0 while the three other hexes are at level -1. Crestline between level 0 and -1 is running along hexspines ; S10/R9, S10/S9, S9/T9, T8/T9....
Do you believe it is the designers intent, don´t think it is since the rules seems to clearly say that all hexes (nearly all Overlays) with a lightgreen background is at ground level (i.e., not at level -1).

A valley is depicted by dark green background in obvious contrast to
the lighter green used to represent ground level Open Ground.

Stacks

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The issue about the Wd5 overlay has been decided all hexes of the overlay is at ground level (due to the light green background).

More changes has been added to the scenario SP80 Die Gurkha Die!

The first file contains all ABS and ASO SSR (changes/clarifications) for the scenarios.
The second file is used for HIP/depletion/notes.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Back from Copenhagen. Thanks to the organizers and everyone who was there - it was fun as usual.

hastrup

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llDenmark
The final was a showdown between last years winner Melvin Falk and the winner of Arnhem last year Klas Malmstrom. They played A Polish Requiem, with Klas as the attacking Germans.
Melvin prevented Klas from having enough squads in the VC area, and won. Congratulations to both and a thanks to all who participated. Also a big thankyou to our price sponsors ;
MMP, Histofig and Trojan Games.

Michael

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Full results of the event should be posted tomorrow and the results will subsequently be submitted to the European Area ranking guys.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats to Mel for his second straight win and also to runerup Klaus. How about an AAR?

Rich

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks a lot to Bo Siemsen and Michael Hastrup for organising another super Scandinavian Open tournament - it was another major event with some real "talking points".

My sincere congratulations to Mel for his well-deserved victory.

Two talking points from my side:

1) "The Hellenic Expedition" has been proven to be a "broken" scenario, unfortunately. It should get no more tournament play unless fixed.

2) ABS increases the risk of atypical tournament play, if there is a "broken" scenario in the scenario list. Instead of scratching the scenario off the list (because you don't want to play the loosing side), you could not bid high for it and win that way. Of course the real problem is only in the scenario, not in the players - but ABS makes it much worse as it can make a "broken" scenario attractive.

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
ASL Scandinavian Open 2009 FINAL RESULTS

Scandinavian Open 2009
Through falling snow and ground snow conditions 43 ASL players ventured to the National Arms Museum in Copenhagen to take part in the ASL Scandinavian Open. Not suprisingly the loyal swedish ASL Crowd made up the majority of the field – and they also produced the top-2 players in the tournament and 5 of the top-6 spots.

The Danish players held home-board advantage but failed to impress.

These are the final standings of ASO 2009 (Main Event)

Player - Nationality - Points - First Loss - Avg.Opp.rat.
Melvin Falk - Sweden - 15 - no loss - 1615,2
Klas Malmström - Sweden - 12 - 5 - 1580,2
Enrico Catanzaro - Italy - 12 - 4 - 1592,6
Patrik Hyvärinen - Sweden - 12 - 3 - 1717,2
Lars Thuring - Sweden - 10 - 4 - 1634,8
Martin Svärd - Sweden - 10 - 2 - 1516,2
Peter Struijf - Netherlands - 10 - 1 - 1545,4
Georges Tournemire - France - 9 - 3 - 1587,0
Michael Koch - Germany - 9 - 2 - 1568,4
Bjarne Marell - Denmark - 9 - 2 - 1554,6
Boudewijn van Schalkwick - Holland - 9 - 1 - 1617,8
Johan Sahlin - Sweden - 9 - 1 - 1584,8
Erik Leander - Sweden - 9 - 1 - 1559,0
Christoffer Peyre (4 games) - Sweden - 9 - 1 - 1458,0
Tomek Kucharski - Poland - 7 - 1 - 1467,0
Thomas Harjo (2 games) - Norway - 6 - no loss - 1416,0
Olav Heie - Norway - 6 - 3 - 1614,0
Mattias Rönnblom - Sweden - 6 - 3 - 1567,0
Arnaud Sanchis - France - 6 - 2 - 1447,0
Michiel Otten - Netherlands - 6 - 1 - 1544,6
William Hanson - Denmark - 6 - 1 - 1519,0
Olivier Dietsch - France - 6 - 1 - 1518,4
Gerard Burton (2 games) - England - 3 - 2 - 1685,5
Hans Bugge (2 games) - Norway - 3 - 2 - 1635,0
Robert Maglica (2 games) - Sweden - 3 - 2 - 1627,5
Bo Siemsen (3 games) - Denmark - 3 - 2 - 1545,3
Jeroen Verheij (2 games) - Netherlands - 3 - 2 - 1501,0
Martin Houmøller (2 games) - Denmark - 3 - 2 - 1454,5
Morten Ketting (4 games) - Denmark - 3 - 2 - 1437,3
Michael Hastrup-Leth (4 games) - Denmark - 3 - 2 - 1430,5
Mattias Bergwall (2 games) - Sweden - 3 - 1 - 1562,5
Bjørnar Arstad (2 games) - Norway - 3 - 1 - 1511,0
Patrik Manlig (2 games) - Sweden - 3 - 1 - 1437,5
Derek Ward (3 games) - Australia - 3 - 1 - 1400,7
Jes Touvdal (2 games) - Denmark - 3 - 1 - 1342,0
Albert Van Poppel (2 games) - Netherlands - 0 - 1 - 1591,5
Jakob Nørgaard (2 games) - Denmark - 0 - 1 - 1531,0
Flemming S Christensen (3 games) - Denmark - 0 - 1 - 1462,3
Martin Kristensen - Denmark - 0 - 1 - 1460,4
Matts Dagerhäll (2 games) - Sweden - 0 - 1 - 1441,5
Håkan Isaksson (2 games) - Sweden - 0 - 1 - 1425,0
Michael Hemmingsen (2 games) - Denmark - 0 - 1 - 1400,0

In addition to the main event Scandinavian Open had 3 Mini Tournaments which appeared to be a great success yet again with a total of 16 participants on Saturday and Sunday. The Swedes also managed to claim top honors in 2 of the 3 events:

BOCAGE WARFARE MINI
Winner – Mattias Bergwall, Sweden

Mattias Defeated all his 3 opponents in the Event and thoroughly deserved his Prizes.

Final Standings in 4-man Round-Robin tournament
Mattias Bergwall 3 - 0
Bjørnar Arstad 2 - 1
Robert Maglica 1 - 2
Gerard Burton 0 - 3

HAKKA PÄÄLLE (playtest) MINI
Winner – Patrik Manlig, Sweden

Patrik won a quick and decisive game in the 3rd and final round against Jes Touvdal.

Final Standings in 4-man Round-Robin tournament
Patrik Manlig 3 - 0
Jes Touvdal 2 - 1
Matts Dagerhäll 1 - 2
Hans Bugge 0 - 3

TIGERS MINI
Winner – Albert Van Poppel (Holland)

The 8-player Tigers Minitournament very interestingly only had one Swedish participant (and he usually plays most of his ASL in Denmark). This allowed for a Non-swedish winner.

Albert Van Poppel defeated dane Niels Larsen in The final game. Congratulations to Albert for winning the Tournament.

Final Rankings in the Tigers Mini
Albert Van Poppel (Holland)
Niels Larsen (Denmark)
Thomas Harjo (Norway)
Jakob Nørgaard (Denmark)
Derek Ward (Australia)
Jeroen Verheij (Holland)
Håkan Isaksson (Sweden)
Martin Houmøller (Denmark)

MINOR AWARDS
Snakeeyes - Christoffer Peyre (Sweden)
Boxcars (split) – Georges Tournemire (France) and Tomek Kucharski (Poland)
Close Combat VP (split) – Enrico Catanzaro (Italy) and Bjarne Marell (Denmark)

The Scandinavian Open Crew would like to thank all the participants for behaving well and (almost) showing up on time for all games - and Lars Thuring who agreed to arrange a mini-tournament with the upcoming Hakka Päälle Module. We also give our thanks to the Sponsors which made it possible for us to award all the winners with nice prizes … Histofig.com, Trojangames.se and MMP.

See you in 2010

Last edited: