5. Nothing we want.
6. Seen in 2010, maybe.

Last edited:

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kerry, I did not vote because I could not find a choice that adequately reflects how I see things unfolding.

I anticipate that CM-US vs Germans in Normandy will be a half baked attempt at recreating a small part of CMBO, using a newer engine that was primarily designed for RT play (but modified to make WeGo more of the "equal partner" Steve promised it was to be in CMSF) and which (will still) has far fewer features than did CM x 1.

I see the likely end result as a game that will fall in the range of just below "good" to "mediocre".

After playing the demo and giving the matter some thought, I will probably buy it. From there it may or may not hold my interest enough to tempt me into buying one or more modules.

P.S. I think it will be out in a year--give or take. In part this is because it will have to be for business/cash flow reasons.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I voted in need of major patches and fixes, but that's not so harsh as it seems, since it was true of all the games. I do think it will still be fundamentally not the game I want to see, but if it looks really cool, I'll still buy it, based on the demo performance and the online buzz.

I think it will underperform sales wise (not that we'll know). Unless somebody comes up with a movie about Normandy that coincidentally comes out at the same time, something on the lines of Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers in terms of public appeal.

You know, with The Pacific coming out, or whatever the Spielberg/Hanks mini-series is, it would make more sense for BFC to have come up with a CMX2 Pacific themed game to "coincidentally" come out at the same time. Develop water and landing craft and work out the engineering game, do a Guadalcanal campaign (fairly balanced situations there), release it in concert and ride the wave of popularity of that miniseries, and then when you move to Normandy, you could not only do the bocage, but throw in the beach landings on top of it because everyone is gagging to play them.

Patrocles

Reaction score
I believe CMX2 Normandy will be released in 2010 and that it will need some patches to get it up to speed.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I voted in need of major patches and fixes, but that's not so harsh as it seems, since it was true of all the games. I do think it will still be fundamentally not the game I want to see, but if it looks really cool, I'll still buy it, based on the demo performance and the online buzz.

I think it will underperform sales wise (not that we'll know). Unless somebody comes up with a movie about Normandy that coincidentally comes out at the same time, something on the lines of Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers in terms of public appeal.

You know, with The Pacific coming out, or whatever the Spielberg/Hanks mini-series is, it would make more sense for BFC to have come up with a CMX2 Pacific themed game to "coincidentally" come out at the same time. Develop water and landing craft and work out the engineering game, do a Guadalcanal campaign (fairly balanced situations there), release it in concert and ride the wave of popularity of that miniseries, and then when you move to Normandy, you could not only do the bocage, but throw in the beach landings on top of it because everyone is gagging to play them.
Im not sure a Pacific CM would work because of the lack of toys and variety. Everyone usually associates the Pacific with Tarawa, Okinawi, iwo etc and for mainstream punters to buy it these would have to be in. The downside to this is that all those battles were meatgrinders. As US you would be simply using firepower and have little room for manoeuvre.

However, I would personally love it, especially the suggestion of Guadalcanal, but again, although the battles could be very interesting this campaign is more famous for the Sea battles around the Slot, the Tokyo express, the Sullivans in the cruiser actions etc etc.

Then theres the main point, CM has always been about Armour too and Japanese armour just isnt sexy, and by not sexy I mean non-existent really with their little 37mm guns, a Sherman was a Tiger there.

That said, you could make an infinite number of small unit scenarios and the return to the Philippines saw some of the most vicious street fighting in the Pacific.

I love the idea but just cant see it happening. Oh and imagine getting your hands on that Japanese Knee Mortar!

As for the vote..... Personally I think it will be the best available WW2 game at the time. What BF could really do with is some really decent competition.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Im not sure a Pacific CM would work because of the lack of toys and variety.
Valid point, of course, that will be true of all the CM games to a point. Yes, even moreso with the Japanese, but if one digs, one can find some armour battles in China, especially against the Russians in 1939. But that would defy the module concept, and be very specialized - I don't see many people buying Guadalcanal and then paying 25 bucks to get Tarawa to get "Japanese Marines" and then another 25 bucks to get...Russians and Japanese tanks!

But we'll see how many people are eager to buy CM: Normandy and not get M24 Chaffees, Pershings, King Tigers or the 101st Airborne either... :)

Everyone usually associates the Pacific with Tarawa, Okinawi, iwo etc and for mainstream punters to buy it these would have to be in. The downside to this is that all those battles were meatgrinders. As US you would be simply using firepower and have little room for manoeuvre.
True, also. But as you know, there were other campaigns with more maneuver, and even within those battles, there were tactical battles - see the ASL treatment of Kakazu Ridge or Gavutu-Tanambogo off of Guadalcanal, or even all of Betio. You can make it interesting at the tactical level - for some.

Not in Real Time, however. :laugh:

However, I would personally love it, especially the suggestion of Guadalcanal, but again, although the battles could be very interesting this campaign is more famous for the Sea battles around the Slot, the Tokyo express, the Sullivans in the cruiser actions etc etc.
True again.

Then theres the main point, CM has always been about Armour too and Japanese armour just isnt sexy, and by not sexy I mean non-existent really with their little 37mm guns, a Sherman was a Tiger there.
Yes, exactly.

That said, you could make an infinite number of small unit scenarios and the return to the Philippines saw some of the most vicious street fighting in the Pacific.

I love the idea but just cant see it happening. Oh and imagine getting your hands on that Japanese Knee Mortar!

As for the vote..... Personally I think it will be the best available WW2 game at the time. What BF could really do with is some really decent competition.
If you're saying it will be first in a field of one, I can't argue with that! But what about Panzer Command? Slow but steady...I hope they come out with some engine changes, but they are pretty quiet over there, other than a third party map maker. They are a long ways off from competing, I think.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At this time I'll say none of the above.

I am pessimistic enough now that even if it works technically it'll be no fun.

No hidden AT guns (in positions that can't be instantly knocked out, and in thick tree where they can't be seen). Frustrating movement in built up terrain limited by arbitrary gizmos that are really not the player's concerns. Insufficient control over fire, expending the (no double too limited by BFC) ammunition. Hard and wrong scenario limits with no "play on" option. No quickbattles that are working enough, no force cherry-picking. No digging around the unit data references. No doubt super slow turn rates and lots of dogtailing. Probably crippled Artillery spotting.

I'd say 90% of those periods of time where I got excited about CMx1 was in things that likely will not be in CMx2:Normandy.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
But what about Panzer Command? Slow but steady.
There youve hit the nail on the proverbial head. I have this, have tried to pbem it and slick it is not, the bloody double 40 sec turns have been designed by a madman! If CM had this hardly anyone would have persevered. Single player is OK though.

I picked up Steel Fury Kharkov lately and Im beginning to wonder if the realism in this is to much as I struggle to get my Matilda into gear! But if CM Normandy could have its graphics and deformable terrain etc that would be a very definite step in the right direction.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
But if CM Normandy could have its graphics and deformable terrain etc that would be a very definite step in the right direction.
Yeh, once the Second World War nuts are back on familiar ground with units whose stats they know, it will be easier to compare apples to oranges (i.e. CM:Normandy to CM:BO) than it is now, comparing hamburger to bananas (CM:SF to CM:BB). I'm with Redwolf, though, and I hope that the terrain is not only deformable, but concealable - particularly entrenchments.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Im with the concealable too. In fact Im with anything that will make the game better to play, Im not necessarily after Bren Tripods though, but really really want some squad formations, heck even games like Warhammer can manage them.

Peek

Reaction score
Country
ll
I went with In need of major patches & fixes. I figure if they can get it all patched and working by 2014 they can tie it in with the 70th anniversary of the actual landings.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I picked needing major patches.
I can see BFC putting out Normandy as a very limited & frustrating game for CMx1 players. However, depending on what the initial response is to it, "very nice but add this, tweak this etc." and the potential is there they will respond quickly to tweak the game to pull in all the old CM players.

The "Pacific Battles" would be a nice add-on to a good Normandy game.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Im not sure a Pacific CM would work because of the lack of toys and variety.
As opposed to a month in Fantasyria? A Guadalcanal game done well would have people drooling and earn a series of "damn, no one ever respects the Pacific theater, you have to give BFC credit for that" reviews from players and game magazines.

It would be something to talk about, which they could sorely use.

-dale

Last edited: