llGermany
Re: The Kaiserlich Marine in Turkey

First half of the "Dardanelles map" second half below

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Re: The Kaiserliche Marine in the sandbox

Did they manage to transport some of the small coastal TBs (or other assets) there as well or was it just barges for ferrying duty?

Btw, that spot above "Kolonne" made me start an unsuccessful attempt to clean my display. :D
No, I think the Navy people were just there to provide "boating expertise" for the Army detachment, though there were also some naval intelligence posts (Marinenachrichtenstellen) in Syria.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I read an interesting story about the Dardanelles bombardment. One of the big Turkish guns was in the then-standard coast defense mounting on a raised turntable with a small davit on the edge to hoist up the shells. The davit broke or was shot away, so one of the gunners picked up the shells and carried them up the ladder to the turntable. These were like 500-pound shells. He did this a number of times and became a hero. Unfortunately, I can't find that story again now :(.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Ineresting that the hit on Goeben was attributed to a Russian dreadnought that hadn't even been built yet when the battle occurred. I guess that was more glorious than admitting that it came from a predreadnought, and that the predreadnoughts got the better of the engagement :).

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Re: The Kaiserliche Marine in Turkey

Ineresting that the hit on Goeben was attributed to a Russian dreadnought that hadn't even been built yet when the battle occurred. I guess that was more glorious than admitting that it came from a predreadnought, and that the predreadnoughts got the better of the engagement :).
I think that's a simple printing error where a "4" was erroneously substituted for a "5" since "Imperatriza Maria" had her "debut" in October of 1915.

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

@BH: I read the same story of the Turkish soldier who carried the 500 pound 28 cm shells all alone, it seems to be true. Although, when he was asked to do it again for photographers some time later, he could not lift the shell on his own... must have been the adrenaline.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I think that's a simple printing error where a "4" was erroneously substituted for a "5" since "Imperatriza Maria" had her "debut" in October of 1915.
Well, the date in the caption, 18 Nov 14, was the day the Battle of Cape Sarych was fought. In that battle, Goeben took a 12" hit from Evstafi on the 2ndary battery armor right beside a gun, the crew of which was wiped out in the resulting ammunition fire. IOW, all the details of the pic and caption agree with the Cape Sarych fight, except for saying the hit came from the dreadnought :).

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Well, the date in the caption, 18 Nov 14, was the day the Battle of Cape Sarych was fought. In that battle, Goeben took a 12" hit from Evstafi on the 2ndary battery armor right beside a gun, the crew of which was wiped out in the resulting ammunition fire. IOW, all the details of the pic and caption agree with the Cape Sarych fight, except for saying the hit came from the dreadnought :).
Then the author is confusing things the other way round :), since Goeben had her first scrape with the IM in Otober of 1915 (haven't got the date now). I don't think that it is propaganda, more like one more mistake in this book which has many rare photos but does have some smalll and some glaring errors in the text part.