Naval book recommendations

Yang

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Re: free jutland ebook

Gosh, i need to find a store where i can print some of those books. At least it would look better than one´s own printouts and can´t be more expensive. Can´t print in B/W anyway because i´ve run out of yellow, damn those Printerpirates.

vertical

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WWI Naval Books

Any recommendations? I'm interested in primarily surface action and and the strategic picture.

vertical

asheshouse

Reaction score
Country
ll
Re: WWI Naval Books

Castles of Steel, Robert K Massie, Pimlico 2005

Jutland, The German Perspective, V E Tarrant, Brockhampton Press 1995.

samofire

Recruit
Reaction score

"The Fighting at Jutland" by Fawcett and Hooper, it's rather old (first print was 1921)...I have a 2001 reprint that I picked up in a used bookstore. Very good first-person accounts of the battle from British sailors who were participants in the battle. I second "Castles of Steel"...HIGHLY recommend that one...great read.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

One thing CofS is it gives great political background for both Germany and UK. It makes some of the decision making at Jutland a little more understandable.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Any recommendations? I'm interested in primarily surface action and the strategic picture.
IMHO the best on overall strategy, which also has some nice tactical capsule summaries, is Paul G. Halpern's A Naval History of World War I. This covers all theaters for the whole war. Halpern's written several other WW1 naval books, some primarily strategic and some purely tactical on a specific battle, most of them about the Med. I recommend all of them.

Wielding the Dagger, by Mark D. Karau, is an excellent book on what went on in Flanders and the Channel from the German side. It's both strategic and tactical. It's a good companion to the older Brit books on the Dover Patrol.

Martyr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I'm reading Robert Massie's Castles of Steel right now, and it's excellent. It's concerned not only with the ships and battles themselves, but with the political and strategic considerations behind them. It's also great at presenting the larger-than-life personalities involved, people like Fisher, Churchill, Jellicoe, Beatty, etc.. Massie is a terrific writer as well as a solid historian, and at times the narrative is as lively and evocative as a great novel.

In fact CoS is a sort of sequel to Massie's Dreadnought, which depicts the late-Victorian cultural, political, and strategic rivalry between Britain and Germany as it lurched towards the eventual Great War. The two books together provide an excellent base of knowledge--albeit a generally anglocentric one--for playing the game.

Zakalwe

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

I`ve read both mentioned books from Masssie, a very good read.

Then I have read Campbell "Jutland - An Analysis of the fighting", which is interesting, but a little dry, as it mainly focusses on the technical aspects. He must have analysed nearly any major hit on the big ships.

Currently I`m reading "Death in the grey Wastes" from Steel and Hart. The complete counterpart to the beforementioned book, as the horror on board of these ships is described. Many accounts of the participants, where often the simple sailor gets the word. Highly recommended.

Then there is rhetors link to one ebook about von Hase, Scheer and Jellicoe writing about Jutland. Jut printed it out today, around 150 pages.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=80630

laurence

Recruit
Reaction score

HReardon beat me to it. Andrew Gordon's The Rules of the Game should be considered required reading by Jutland enthusiasts. It is an in-depth treatment of not only the battle but of the personalities involved as well. Read this book in conjunction with Campbell's Jutland - An Analysis of the Fighting. You will know everything you need to know about the battle (from the Anglo perspective).

Regards,
Laurence

vertical

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I've put together a nice little Amazon list that should keep me busy for some time.

And you may be interested to know that it seems like a few people are trying to find SES Jutland on Amazon. When I typed "Jutland" into the search box on Amazon the first autocomplete that popped up in the list was "Jutland PC game". :cool:

vertical

SwampYankee

Reaction score
So what are the good Juland "resources"?

Greetings,
What are the best references on Jutland? I am looking for 2 types of books, the battle itself, and the ships. What are the best books? In print would help.

Graf von Spee

Reaction score
Re: So what are the good Juland "resources"?

I happen to like Campbell's Jutland: An Analysis of the Fighting combined with another book that is less technical. I'm reading Tarrant's "Jutland" now . . . it focuses on the German side, but it's good notwithstanding.

anav

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: So what are the good Juland "resources"?

A couple of older books are very good reads and sources of information. "The Riddle of Jutland" by Langhorne Gibson, published in 1934, and "The Battle of Jutland" by Commander Holloway Frost published in 1936.
The memory of Jutland was still green then, and Battleships were still considered the most important ships in the fleet.
While neither has the technical data or the damage detail of Campbell's book, they are both more passionate, and set the scene much better. Gibson's book especially reads like a novel at times and is very descriptive.
Another good, but older, source is "Jutland and After" by Arthur Marder. Wonderful Maps and Charts in this one. Plus, as the title notes, goes into some detail of what happened after Jutland, (Blind Mans Bluff scenario)

Regards ANav