What boardgames have you played recently?

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
18 holes of APBA Golf with Tommy Armour(The Silver Scot) shooting a 5 under Par 66 including a Bogey and an Eagle.

During his service in WW1 Armour rose from a private to Staff Major in the Tank Corps Armour was in the Armour :cool:). His conduct earned him an audience with George V. However, he lost his sight to a mustard gas explosion and surgeons had to add a metal plate to his head and left arm. During his convalescence, he regained the sight of his right eye and took to golfing.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
18 holes of APBA Golf with Tommy Armour(The Silver Scot) shooting a 5 under Par 66 including a Bogey and an Eagle.

During his service in WW1 Armour rose from a private to Staff Major in the Tank Corps Armour was in the Armour :cool:). His conduct earned him an audience with George V. However, he lost his sight to a mustard gas explosion and surgeons had to add a metal plate to his head and left arm. During his convalescence, he regained the sight of his right eye and took to golfing.
Wow, Bill. I knew you were older than I, but not that much!:clown:

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, Bill. I knew you were older than I, but not that much!:clown:
I got the APBA Golf Game on my birthday around 1967. Cool game.

I just won an ebay auction with everything APBA ever made for golf. It contains everything I always wanted but never purchased.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=290264593048
or ebay Item number: 290264593048

At the Shawnee Open in 1927, Armour shot the first ever "Archaeopteryx" (15 or more over par) when he shot a 23 on a par 5, for 18-over par.

He quit in 1935 and became a teaching Pro at Boca Raton Golf Club. My Uncle Tuck became a Golf Pro after WW2 and became one Tommy's assistants. :cool:

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just started a Federation and Empire PBEM game.
I definitely want to hear how that goes!

Played A Victory Lost a couple weeks ago, just finished off an on-line SFB game, and should (finally!) play Successors this Sunday.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Got the Swords & Sorcery D20 version of the old Judges Guild classic AD&D module called "Caverns Of Thracia". It was originally designed by Paul Jaquays. He is a very imaginative designer.
I got this updated module off eBay. Meanwhile from Amazon.com Australia I ordered the D20 version of the *other* Paul Jaquays classic module "Dark Tower".
I got the original AD&D 2nd edition modules on eBay about a year ago. It certainly brought back memories. We used to adventure in these dungeons as teenagers. Some of the best gaming experiences of my life.
Dark Tower is awsome! As is Caverns Of Thracia. I just could not resist to see how they had been updated to the D20 system.

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Race For The Galaxy ... really cool game with lots of decision-making (do I choose this action, knowing my rival will benefit from it? is it time to settle?)

Like it a lot.

Brien

Warbear

Reaction score
First name
Ernst
Country
llGermany
The Napoleonic Wars (GMT) 2ed

I like card driven games, and most of them TNW (I've played it about 100 times now).

KevinG

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have that game too Brien and really like it. A few of us tried to play it at the Sioux City tournie but we didnt make too much progress. It takes a while to sink in, and the icons on the cards took a while. Plus we got caught up with comparing Andersen with the Pre-Sentient being... since i then i have soloed a few turns and i now have it figured out, although of course no-one here to play against. Let's plan on playing at Winter War!

Also have been engaged in our second multi-player game of Close Action with Mr Martin, Pleva, JR, and a few lads from down-under who i believe are ASL'ers too amongst a total group of 43 players re-enacting the Battle of Chesapeake. As much as it pained my national origins to do so, i accepted command of the French fleet. It is only the start of turn 2, so both sides are in the midst of initial manoeovering with much action to come.

I have also been playing Devil's Cauldron. A very impressive game in terms of quality and gameplay. Bit concerned with the ease with which the British can be kept away from the Arnhem bridge through sheer bad luck, but have been working on some house rules to try to factor out the luck as much as possible.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Talisman 2nd edition with the Adventure Expansion with my three boys last Sunday. We played using the Outer Ring expansion that I found and printed out years ago. It adds another ring to the game board with lots of cool locations and adds more variety and options for moving around the board.

I was the Druid (able to switch alignments) and got my butt kicked by my oldest son BC who was the Woodsman (pick 2 cards in woods, choose one, discard the other). Seth was the Troll (Strength = 6, Craft = 1) and was in the next best shape followed by Logan who was the Pirate (lots of different skills, but nothing special).

It was their first time playing it, so they enjoyed it and want to play it again. We played that the first player to get to the middle square was the winner.

bellnote88

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone ever played AH's Flattop? I saw it on ebay recently and was intrigued. I'm looking for a naval strategy game (cuz ASL doesn't take enough of my time :bite:)

Bigkayeh

Court Jester of absurdity
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone ever played AH's Flattop? I saw it on ebay recently and was intrigued. I'm looking for a naval strategy game (cuz ASL doesn't take enough of my time :bite:)

my second favorite game after ASL. It had a true realistic feel about it. I don't own a copy and the guy I used pllay against moved off a long time ago with his copy.:upset::cry:

KevinG

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
> looking for a naval strategy game

do you mean a strategic level naval game or just a naval wargame? Flattop is is a good one, but is quite tactical in feel. Close Action is the best tactical game from the Age of Sail IMO. More strategic in nature, and still in the Pacific if that is your thing, is Empire of the Rising Sun - a Mark Herman card driven game which is good too.

bellnote88

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
my second favorite game after ASL. It had a true realistic feel about it. I don't own a copy and the guy I used pllay against moved off a long time ago with his copy.:upset::cry:
Thanks for the feedback. A copy went on ebay last week for under $30 - I think it was around $25. I'll keep my eyes open.

bellnote88

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
> looking for a naval strategy game

do you mean a strategic level naval game or just a naval wargame? Flattop is is a good one, but is quite tactical in feel. Close Action is the best tactical game from the Age of Sail IMO. More strategic in nature, and still in the Pacific if that is your thing, is Empire of the Rising Sun - a Mark Herman card driven game which is good too.
Ah, yes, I keep forgetting the distinctions. I would be more interested in a tactical game. A friend of mine came back from "Fall In" this year after playing a naval tactical game (can't remember the name, but it has been mentioned on this thread) and it sounded like a lot of fun. I just don't think we could muster the four or more players plus referee to play it. It sounds like Flattop fits the bill nicely. :)

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been playing my second favorite game (after ASL):Full Thrust--tactical spaceship combat.
Great rules that can be adapted to any universe you care to play in.Been playing some Star Wars scenarios with these rules lately.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also have been engaged in our second multi-player game of Close Action with Mr Martin, Pleva, JR, and a few lads from down-under who i believe are ASL'ers too amongst a total group of 43 players re-enacting the Battle of Chesapeake. As much as it pained my national origins to do so, i accepted command of the French fleet. It is only the start of turn 2, so both sides are in the midst of initial manoeovering with much action to come.
Is this one of the two versions from "Rebel Seas"?

John