Michael
Country
llCanada

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hold on. Moon said Normandy is "planned" for 2009. He never said a single word about it "coming" in 2009 or actually being released in 2009. I'm not being argumentative...there's a huge difference here.
In fact the U.S. vs. Germans Normandy CM x 2 game has been discussed since at least 2007.

Moon said: "WW2 is planned for next year."

Just as President Clinton and the rest of us knows what the meaning of "is" is, we all know what the meaning of "planned" is.

Whether or not they actually deliver on time and/or in a complete form--those things are far less certain.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In fact the U.S. vs. Germans Normandy CM x 2 game has been discussed since at least 2007.

Moon said: "WW2 is planned for next year."

Just as President Clinton and the rest of us knows what the meaning of "is" is, we all know what the meaning of "planned" is.

Whether or not they actually deliver on time and/or in a complete form--those things are far less certain.
How long has CM:C or the Napoleonic game or the naval battles game been "planned"? BF:C has demonstrated no actual understanding of the meaning of the word "planned". I'm not sure why you think they have? Almost every title they have announced in the last 5 years has languished for 2-3 years. A 2009 planning date is no guarantee of a 2009 delivery date.

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How long has CM:C or the Napoleonic game or the naval battles game been "planned"? BF:C has demonstrated no actual understanding of the meaning of the word "planned". I'm not sure why you think they have? Almost every title they have announced in the last 5 years has languished for 2-3 years. A 2009 planning date is no guarantee of a 2009 delivery date.
Those were all games designed by others--not Charles.

Further--the WW II versions of CM x 2 are make or break for Battlefront. It must be clear, even to them, that these games must not be released in a late alpha or early beta form, as was the case for CMSF. On the other hand it must be released as soon as possible--thus starting a key revenue stream.

We agree that a 2009 release may or may not occur. It will almost certainly be later, if they revert to old Big Time/Battlefront values. It will be in 2009--and probably the first half of 2009, in the event that the ToW/Paradox/Battlefront philosophy continues.

KG_Cloghaun

Oberste Befehlshaber
Reaction score
I'm crudely summarizing here, but didn't BF say way back when, that after the 1st release was out, the hard part would basically be over & theye'd be able to pump out a couple of core games/modules every year?

Thanks for the update, Bill.

Nemesis Lead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I went to 1.06 or 1.07 Tanker. I literally could not finish the 2 PBEM games due to errors. That was all I could stand.

BFC is off their rocker. Telling people that they don't really want certain things (e.g., the ability to pick your units and to autogenerate maps) and that they do want other things (small games on small maps). Ignoring the fact that cover does not work in the game, etc.

I have really never seen a company so disconnected from its customers and reality....

....And sales of their product seem to be bearing me out. CMSF was in the bargain bin almost immediately.

As far as I am concerned--they stole $70 from me!

Tanker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've completed several pbem games now with 1.08 and as long as the files were zipped I've had no errors. It's not a great game due to the imbalance between forces but I've had some entertainment from it in pbem games. It is playable now.

And I agree with you about the robbery by BF. I'm lucky I bought it on ebay for 5 dollars.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
V 1.08 is an entirely different beast, I currently have 7 PBEM going and apart from the odd glitch (no worse than CM-1) its working fine.

In fact and in many ways, its a better game.

Nemesis Lead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are Apache helicopters still streaming fire all over the map? Do Javelins still strike like 155mm artillery shells? Can you still fire a shell at a building and hear guys scream from 1 KM away?

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Are Apache helicopters still streaming fire all over the map? Do Javelins still strike like 155mm artillery shells? Can you still fire a shell at a building and hear guys scream from 1 KM away?
Why dont you just try it. May take you all of 5 minutes to download 1.08 and fire it up. This is what I did when I bought a new PC, I was curious about how it would display games like SF.

Much like you I had given up on it. However, it is very enjoyable.

There are many just as obvious Bugs in CM-1 I never hear anyone banging on about.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Except that it's set in Syria and real-time and not CM... :crosseye:
Well obviously your right. However, Im certain that you dont exclusively play the 3 CM games?

Real time actually works quite well in a single player game. Escape key lets you pause at any time and issue orders to any unit.

PBEM works fine too as I said, and the bonus is that you get to watch the movie and issue orders every turn.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Funny, I still have quite a few issues with PBEM. Maybe its all relative. Up to 1.07, it was basically unplayable. 1.08 is playable, but I am guessing that for every 10 turns I play, I have to reload a turn, or just plain scrap the game 2 or 3 times. Still quite a few synch issues with vehicles, ammo, damage, and status of crews.

1.08 is what it should have been released at. I won't forgive them for the way they treated people who stood up and said the baby is ugly. Steve and his gang are finally admitting it wasn't a great release. I still play it, it is enjoyable, but it does not draw me in anywhere near what CM1 did. Its not the setting, its all the things they learned from CM1 that are missing.

One thing about RT, the TCP MP is in a worse state than PBEM. It is still very laggy. btw, validation of this is the fact that there are still a number of complaints that show up on the forum and one of the first things on the fix list for 1.1 is improving MP.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thats interesting as Ive got 7 games on the go and have only had 1 small glitch with Tanker in the last 2 months. This glitch was resolved by simply zipping the files.

Absolutely nothing like the previous versions.

Now back to the topic. Id expect that as all the coding ets has already been done for CMx2 and as they constantly say at BF that this is the hard bit, and as all the glitches will have been worked out by CMSF.

Then, all that needs to be done for a CM Normandy event is to paint the modells and dial in the weapons/armour effects. This is what BF have protrayed CMx2 as being able to do for a while now. How easy/difficult these changes are, I have no clue but if it is only a matter of changing the outward appearance and dialing in new weapons etc its not a new game, more like a simple MOd for an existing one and so 2009 seems realistic for a Mod.

We shall see. Although Id rather just wait until its actually ready this time.

Nemesis Lead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Funny, I still have quite a few issues with PBEM. Maybe its all relative. Up to 1.07, it was basically unplayable. 1.08 is playable, but I am guessing that for every 10 turns I play, I have to reload a turn, or just plain scrap the game 2 or 3 times. Still quite a few synch issues with vehicles, ammo, damage, and status of crews.
Ah yes--now I see. Very stable Geordie and the equivalent of CMX1. Funny-I never had to scrap a turn or a game in CMX1.

Lurker

Reaction score
...BFC is off their rocker. Telling people that they don't really want certain things (e.g., the ability to pick your units and to autogenerate maps) and that they do want other things (small games on small maps). Ignoring the fact that cover does not work in the game, etc.

I have really never seen a company so disconnected from its customers and reality....

As far as I am concerned--they stole $70 from me!
Considering the vast number of complaints over all the changes I'm wondering how much fun Normandy will be, what with small maps, no autogenerating, no pick your own, etc., etc.

As I love huge monster battles and picking my own forces I have serious doubts. I will wait for the reviews from other suckers, er - players, before I feed the arrogant one any cash.

Do you think there will be a demo version for this one?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Well obviously your right. However, Im certain that you dont exclusively play the 3 CM games?

Real time actually works quite well in a single player game. Escape key lets you pause at any time and issue orders to any unit.
Let's see - in single player, you fight against a Tac AI who is programmed to run down a checklist of timed items rather than responding to the tactical situation. Multi-player, Real Time is not possible if you are commanding anything more than a platoon and interested in anything more than a frontal assault on a narrow front.

PBEM works fine too as I said, and the bonus is that you get to watch the movie and issue orders every turn.
PBEM has the same Tac AI issues, and the same scale mismatch issues. If I want to get more anti-tank missiles from the armoured carrier, I have to detach an entire squad from the firing line to run back and get them (if Syrian; the US can detach "only" a fire team). Other features like "buddy aid" make it clear CMSF doesn't have a distinct focus - are medical and supply functions to be abstracted, or not?

The entire 1:1 focus is poorly done; individuals are on the map but where you would expect them to act as individuals - either by command or under computer control - they don't. You can't send 1 or 2 men ahead to scout, run up to the top of a building to look out over a valley or street, look around a corner, assault a tank, stand sentry or do an ammo run. There should be some function to allow things like this to happen; the willing suspension of disbelief simply isn't there for many people.

I get the impression the game was intended not as a game at all, but as a Blue Force Simulator, with an outclassed Red Force tacked on in hopes of selling this to DoD at some point. There is plenty to suggest this scenario - the fidelity to a physics model rather than simply finding simpler ways of calculating in-game stuff (and keeping the file sizes lower for PBEM and streaming TCP play, for example).

As an electronic shooting gallery, CM:SF is more stimulating than Pong, so if that is all anyone wants to get out of it, it has advantages over CMX1. I mean, the enemy doesn't counter-attack with mortars and platoon HQs in the lead anymore. Trouble is, he often doesn't counter-attack at all any more...