What boardgames have you played recently?

BobO

Argentine Dove Hunter
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, he is. Just not in that way.

Tate told me.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Grandson and I played on the Wii for hours yesterday.

We also often play "Monsters Menace America".

He's Six. Great fun.
Is MMA pretty easy to grasp for younger ones? I'm looking for something new as I'm getting tired of Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne 3 times a week...... He'll be 8 soon.

Cherper

Legend in my own mind
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is MMA pretty easy to grasp for younger ones? I'm looking for something new as I'm getting tired of Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne 3 times a week...... He'll be 8 soon.
My son has really picked up Wings of War. I keep thinking that he hasn't figured it out, but then he makes some really smart play. He is seven.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
My son has really picked up Wings of War. I keep thinking that he hasn't figured it out, but then he makes some really smart play. He is seven.
Just checked their website, looks way cool. Birthday present for me from him methinks :)

Cherper

Legend in my own mind
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The mini airplanes look really cool, but I don't think I could stop at just a couple. $10.00 each is pretty steep.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's not hard. My grandson is 6 and he's been playing Monsters Menace Amercia for a year...

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Wings of War minis are nice because you don't need to play on a cloth surface. When using the cards on a wood table top, the cards can float around on their own. The minis solve that problem. I think you can find the minis for about $8-9 each if you search hard enough. This was true about a year ago when I was looking...

tassonik

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Summer is definitely not a gaming season here, but I managed to play Carcassonne with my wife and her parents a couple of nights ago.
My mother-in-law beat the crap out of us :blab:

Andrea

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hi!

Been playing Monmouth of GMT'S ARW series.

Not a huge fan of the series as I think luck plays too large of a role in the game, but its a fun beer and pretzels type thing.

Currently reading the Devil's Cauldron rules as my local buddy picked up a copy at WBC, so now there is a reason to get out my copy!

Of course there is still the DnD campaign.

Peace

Roger

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Effing GB Anderson and his alleged 'high quality' brigade, collapse under moderate pressure from weak-willed damnyankees. Their 'higher morale' was unable to counter the massed hordes of blue-coated pestilence as they now stream (and a weak, pitifully small stream it is...)north, away from Fox's Gap, leaving the remnants of Garland's Brigade alone ahead of the impending storm...

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've gotten in a couple of playings of a Eurogame called "Ra", which is a really slick design for 3-5 players. Takes about an hour, probably appropriate for ages 10+.

Also three playings of "Blokus Trigon", which has very simple rules and looks like a kids' game, but has plenty of stuff to think about and requires some ability with shapes (sort of like Tetris). 2-4 players and only takes 20 minutes to play.

One game of "Saint Petersburg", which is a game that requires more careful planning and has less screw-thy-neighbor. 2-4 players, about an hour. I accidentally wasted an entire turn by doing some actions in the wrong order. Still managed to win somehow, in what was basically my first playing, but I have no idea what I did right...

And a game or two of "Coloretto", the game of collecting different colored chameleons. :crosseye: :D The rules are simple, but the gameplay is much deeper than it looks. 2-5 players, about 30 minutes.

I'd play any of them again.

John

Last edited:

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've spent the majority of the last 6 months playing:

Triumph of Chaos (CoA) - great card driven game on the Russian Civil War, heavy emphasis on the chaos part - IMO the best counter graphics in the industry

Friedrich (Histogames) - 3-4 player game covering the Seven Year War. Just started playing this a couple weeks ago - easy mechanics, complex interactions. Lot of fun, but as a group we're still trying to master playing the Prussian/Hannover side. Verdict is out on the degree of kingmaker potential. Still a ton of fun.

Struggle of Empires (Warfrog) - great game covering the era of colonial expansion (1700s - early 1800s) - again simple game mechanics combined with initial bidding phase that sets both play order and alliances for each turn. each player can perform two actions during each round of each 5-6 round tunr (war). 3 Turns (wars) in each game, so with a total of only 15-18 rounds (30-36) actions, getting the most out of each action counts quite a bit.

Making of the President: 1960
Twilight Struggle
Railroad Tycoon/Rails of Europe
Liberte
Race for the Galaxy
Puerto Rico
Warriors of God

In the wings:
Monmouth (CoA)
Fast Action Bulge Game:)
Agricola
Brass

Still doing final Budapest playtesting and final map revisions.

Bill

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still doing final Budapest playtesting and final map revisions.

Bill

Thanks for the update-I was beginning to wonder. If you're like me, you need a break from time-to-time, and the other games help you get out of the ASL box, which helps you be more creative when you come back in.

:nuts:

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only non-ASL game I'll play is poker. Anything else and you're not even a man.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the update-I was beginning to wonder. If you're like me, you need a break from time-to-time, and the other games help you get out of the ASL box, which helps you be more creative when you come back in.

:nuts:
Pete,

Things did slow down after Winter Offensive when I got involved in a major project at work and my 17 year old son started swimming at a national level. Additionally, a guy I work with got me hooked up with his brother who is now working in Budapest, so I'm working on a few map revisions that changed requires a rework of one of the scenarios. I'm also trying to track down some info on German use of captured IS-2s in Budapest, which if can be confirmed will most likely lead to a new scenario.

Bill