Singling HASL Preview

Jo.B

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
sounds nice
does this HASL include the German Nebelwerfer / Woffer ?
are there SSR for the WW1 Pilboxes ?
the sunken Gardens ?
the surrendering Germans ?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
sounds nice
It is. It is one which will require the American player to get everything he possibly can from his AFV's. You win this as the American, you can call yourself a tanker.
No.
No. There was one pillbox in some of the early playtest versions but it was dropped because it added nothing to game.

the sunken Gardens ?
No.

Nothing beyond standard ASL rules. -- jim

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
sounds nice
The Germans do get Rocket OBA.

No; originally we had Pillboxes in the game, but they proved to not be very effective and more of a burdon on the German player. So instead we substituted Fortified Locations to give the German player some flexibility in their defense. They can use FLs, or tunnels, thus to a small degree simulating the Maginot Line effect on the defense.

the sunken Gardens ?
Don't know what that is; I am aware of the manure piles however :D

One word - Conscripts!

Thanks for the actuall game-related post, i do appreciate it.

MerricB

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
As a relatively new ASL player, what are the requirements for actually playing the Singling HASL scenarios? Will the 2e rulebook, Beyond Valor and Yanks (and the OPSI#1) suffice, or are there overlays, counters, etc. from other sources that are needed?

Cheers,
Merric

MerricB

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Sounds like you have it covered with the RB, BV & Yanks.
Thanks muchly. :)

I bought Few Returned under the impression that I wouldn't be able to play any of the scenarios. I was right... but it allowed me to play 4 scenarios from AP#1. For a new player, the ASL requirements often seem a very strange beast. ;)

Cheers,
Merric

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"Nothing beyond standard ASL rules. -- jim"

Well the elite do ELR differenty, to 2nd like then conscripts so in a way they do "surrender" or least dwindle quickly as they start with an ELR of 2.

Peace

Roger

spwhites

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
almost ordered this one, but fear it's too expensive for the ASL content you get. In comparison with recent releases like VotG, well, there is no comparison.
Perhaps the ASL-compleatist-addiction medicine is starting to work; in any case, it just feels good not to have the uncontrollable urge to buy everything ASL- Viva MMP!

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
almost ordered this one, but fear it's too expensive for the ASL content you get. In comparison with recent releases like VotG, well, there is no comparison.
Perhaps the ASL-compleatist-addiction medicine is starting to work; in any case, it just feels good not to have the uncontrollable urge to buy everything ASL- Viva MMP!
I bought it, despite the higher price, for the ASLSK scenarios and the Iwo game.

The ASL content will be offered to friends, and sold here if my friends already have purchased the mag.

Brien

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Singling "mini-HASL" from Operations Special Edition #1 comes with the following:

* One 22" x 25" map (of which ~17" x 23" is playable). The map is done by Niko Eskubi, and is a big departure from "standard" ASL map artwork. There is a terrain key included on the map to remove any confusion about terrain types. Terrain types consist of: Open Ground (at Levels 0 and 1), stone buildings, stone walls, out-of-season orchards, and dirt roads. Crest Lines have been given a thin light line used to determine LOS. Because this is a stand-alone product MMP decided to try something a little different art-wise, and the results are pretty stunning.
* Four pages of Chapter Z rules (pages Z59-62) with both the Singling Special Rules (which apply to all stand-alone scenarios and all CG scenarios) and the Singling CG rules.
* Two "fixed" scenarios:

-SG1 Abrams' Charge
: This is the full-blown American attack on Singling from the start, and can be played either as a stand-alone scenario, using the Victory Conditions and Turn Record Chart (which has a fixed length of 6 full game turns) on the card OR can be used as the initial scenario of the 3-date CG, using the CG Victory Conditions and the variable-turn end mechanism found in the CG rules (which means the scenario and each CG scenario following it could end after 4.5, 5, 5.5 or 6 full turns). When each scenario ends is determined by a dr, so players will never be sure (except if the scenario goes 6 full turns) when scenario end will happen. This is important on a number of levels, not the least of which is how many VP the American has scored, and also what happens between scenarios.

At start, the Americans have 13 tanks but only 7.5 squads (though they are Elite), and their infantry and armor leadership is top-notch. 5 of their tanks have Gyrostabilizers. The Germans start with more infantry (15 squads of varying quality), three Guns, two Panthers and two assault guns. So there is very much a yin/yang of forces here: Powerful armor but thin infantry for the Americans, and limited armor but a relatively large infantry force for the Germans. The Americans initiate the attack under cover of two WP barrages.

-SG2 Fitzgerald's Fire: This is a smaller (4.5 turn, 12.5 squads, 5 tanks total) scenario using about 1/4 of the map, depicting a German counterattack later in the day. It does not plug into the CG is any way and is completely stand-alone (though ALL scenrios use the Singling Special Rules)

The CG ("A Pleasant Diversion") consists of a maximum of 3 CG "dates" (December 6 morning, midday and afternoon), and depicts a much shorter time span than usually seen in ASL CGs; so the amount of stuff which can be achieved between scenarios has been minimized and, accordingly, so have the rules. Some between-scenario actions include Rallying of broken units, weapons repair, evacuation of Wounded leaders, and vehicles having the option of changing their Motion status and VCA/TCAs.

Based on how well they are or are not doing, the American player may get to purchase a limited number of armor and/or infantry as reinforcements. The Germans get reinforcements automatically, though of a random nature. Each side will always have a module of OBA at each scenario start. So in a sense, the CG has a somewhat "self-balancing" quality: If the Americans do well and suffer few losses early, then no reinforcements will be needed; meanwhile the Germans get some replenishment. If they Americans get stuffed early, they can call for help from other forces in the area. Our hope is that we've come up with a CG small enough that two players could complete it in a long day, or over a few evenings.

Victory is contingent upon the American scoring VPs (which consist of CVP inflicted on the Germans and buildings Controlled; buildings are worth a number of VP = to the number of Locations present in each building when it was first Contolled by the American) and/or if they control all 12 "Campaign Victory (CGV) Buildings", thus giving two ways to win. There is a CVP cap placed on the Americans, so the German also has some options to prevent an American Victory. In the CG, the side which won the previous scenario gets the first move in the subsequent scenario. This has proved to be a pretty powerful incentive to both sides.

We hope you enjoy playing it. Many people really dove into this project head-first and gave huge amounts of time and energy to make it work, and to them we are extremely grateful :hail:
Chas, forgive me for being horribly behind the curve, but, well, I'm horribly behind the curve. Isn't Operations the old Gamers magazine? I know MMP owns them now, but this is basically an ASL mini-Hasl published within the Operations magazine? If the preceding is so, will Operations become to ASL release what the old General once was to SL/COI/COD/GI releases? Thanks for the 411.
Carl

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nothing much to do today eh Jim?
It was a complete waste of time and bandwidth since there actually WAS ASL CONTENT in most of the posts that Jim claims had none. I don't know what sort of weird ultra-strict criteria he used, but it surely can't be applied to a single forum member that I can think of. :rolleyes:

I won't pay $40+ for Singling. I won't miss it...there's plenty else to play. It's release in the next Journal would have made for a classic "must have" issue. And I get a creepy feeling about it's deliberately enhanced rarity. But it's MMP's business, and if they want to turn off potential ASL customers like me it's no skin off my nose.

That said, I hope that those who do play it enjoy it. Maybe I'll get a chance to play a scenario at a tournament sometime.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It was a complete waste of time and bandwidth since there actually WAS ASL CONTENT in most of the posts that Jim claims had none. I don't know what sort of weird ultra-strict criteria he used, but it surely can't be applied to a single forum member that I can think of. :rolleyes:

I won't pay $40+ for Singling. I won't miss it...there's plenty else to play. It's release in the next Journal would have made for a classic "must have" issue. And I get a creepy feeling about it's deliberately enhanced rarity. But it's MMP's business, and if they want to turn off potential ASL customers like me it's no skin off my nose.

That said, I hope that those who do play it enjoy it. Maybe I'll get a chance to play a scenario at a tournament sometime.
ASL content and mentioning ASL are different things. In almost every post you find that he mentions ASL or an ASL product but no real content. All the others are ridiculous remarks about things he knows nothing about (ie CSW not being a place to get info, stocking shelves with product that will sit there, kids today being interested in anything before 1990, etc). He talks about me living in the past? We play a boardgame of army men. We are so last century it's pitiful. :D

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chas, forgive me for being horribly behind the curve, but, well, I'm horribly behind the curve. Isn't Operations the old Gamers magazine? I know MMP owns them now, but this is basically an ASL mini-Hasl published within the Operations magazine? If the preceding is so, will Operations become to ASL release what the old General once was to SL/COI/COD/GI releases? Thanks for the 411.
Carl
Carl, up until now Operations has been a bi-annual magazine which supports the Gamers line, but MMP has had the rights to it ever since they acquired the Gamers. The decision was made to start an annual "special edition" as well, which featured something from all of MMP's catalog, including ASL and the International Game Series (hence the inclusion of both Singling and the Rage Against the Marines Iwo Jima game). So the plan is to release one Special Edition per year.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
We agree to disagree, although Marcus' exact words were "useful ASL content" further defined by him as "A call for an opponent, an event notice, an AAR, anything". I stand by my reading and acknowledge it was only his last 40 posts, not his entire body of work. -- jim

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You know guys, I truly despise MMP on a basic cellular metabolistic level. Nothing they do will ever please me and, in fact I will wage a jihad against their every move...unless they allow me into the company as dicktator for life and allow ME to make each and every decision for the company. Cheers!