TV shows NOT to watch

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Myth Busters, you have to love any show that tells you "don't try this at home" (EXC: anything on MTV).

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
'C'mon Darryll...I know you got at least three stories that can top those"

This is my all time favorite and there are some doozies:

I had a driver that wanted to speak to me, he had a problem. I assumed that this would be one of the bazillion general ***** sessions that occur. I was mildly intrigued as it was a long term driver for me who rarely had any issues let alone anything significant enough to warrant a private meeting.

He was an older black guy approaching retirement. We sat down and he proceeded to tell me that he had recently been abducted by aliens and taken to their ship. It had apparently happened before but this time was different. He had always had excellent eyesight and had been able to dance like a madman. Not long after the abduction, he had been diagnosed with an eye ailment that is very rare to black men and he discovered that he could no longer dance. He was abducted along with and older white guy and my driver was convinced that they "got their molecules mixed up" while they were being beamed back and forth from the alien ship. He was convinced that this other guy, whereever he was, could now see like a hawk and could dance like James Brown.

What kind of repsonse do you have for a discussion like that?

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just about anything on "network TV" is unwatchable...I haven't watched a network show in years.

I do watch a lot of:

The Hitler Channel
The Hitler Channel International
The Science Channel
CNN (amazingly historic year for Presidential politics)
The Military Channel
The Discovery Channel
National Geographic Channel
Adult Swim
Battleground 360
Dogfights
Family Guy
Moral Orel (only seen a couple, but so wrong it's hilarious)
Battlestar Galactica
Battlefield Detectives (hate the hosts...the Little Bighorn episide was the best)
Soon to be signing up for Howard TV...which means most of the others will drop off significantly.

Semper Fi!
Scott

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is my all time favorite and there are some doozies...What kind of repsonse do you have for a discussion like that?
That is indeed a classic story...did they return all of his log books?...did he count the "lost time" as part of his break time or driving time?...was there an abduction sur charge? :laugh:

Semper Fi!
Scott

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

I had a driver that wanted to speak to me, he had a problem. I assumed that this would be one of the bazillion general ***** sessions that occur. I was mildly intrigued as it was a long term driver for me who rarely had any issues let alone anything significant enough to warrant a private meeting.

He was an older black guy approaching retirement. We sat down and he proceeded to tell me that he had recently been abducted by aliens and taken to their ship. It had apparently happened before but this time was different. He had always had excellent eyesight and had been able to dance like a madman. Not long after the abduction, he had been diagnosed with an eye ailment that is very rare to black men and he discovered that he could no longer dance. He was abducted along with and older white guy and my driver was convinced that they "got their molecules mixed up" while they were being beamed back and forth from the alien ship. He was convinced that this other guy, whereever he was, could now see like a hawk and could dance like James Brown.

Ask him if his weiner is smaller? :crosseye:

paulkenny

Reaction score
1. Anything not Tivo'd
2. Soccer
3. Faux News
4. Nancy Grace
5. Republican Political Coverage
6. George Bush Speeches
7. American Idol Results Shows
8. Mother Superior (you know the nun on TV)
9. Caillou
10. Thomas the Tank Engine

cjsloki

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anything on the History Channel. Especially that abomination that they had focusing on the USS Enterprise. Limited commercial interruption? yes. Stupid graphics in garish colors obscuring the screen yes. The commercials were just transfered to the banner that would constantly pop up and obscure the action.
The interviews with the vets from Enterprise was good though.
Charles

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

How about:

"Can I have some of what you've been drinking/smoking/taking?"

JT

freightshaker

Reaction score
"There is no drama in trucking."

I don't have enough time to properly respond to this....
I didn't say it was boring (well, it kind of is) but drama, no.

This all goes back to one of the greatest public policy mistakes ever made - allowing long haul truck traffic onto the interstate highway system. It killed most railroad freight traffic. The wear and tear on the interstates, which are now crumbling apart, is attributable mostly to heavy truck traffic.
You realize that without long haul trucking the country will come to a standstill. Anything that is purchased is transported in a truck.

I realize that trucks generate a lot of tax revenues, but I'll bet that that revenue stream could have been matched if more of the railroads had survived. What should have happened was that the interstates should have been reserved to traffic under a certain weight or vehicle configuration. Trucks, including heavy trucks, should have delivered goods and commodities from large railheads to customers or other distribution points. And the other way around as well. There would have been plenty of work for truckers, but it would be local.
The last number I heard for truckers was around 3 million drivers. Making all of these drivers local will bring city traffic to a stand still. Railheads would have to be massive in scale and scope. Spend a day watching any major seaport and it will give you an idea as to the amount of traffic it would generate. Much less the time wasted while drivers waited to be loaded. Deadhead costs would cripple smaller companies (especially with today's fuel prices) since there would be no loaded return to the center. The larger companies would simply pass the cost onto the consumer and owner-operators would be driven from the business (this is already happening).

Trucking is one of the most heavily regulated industry in the nation. We are regulated by weight (80,000lbs without permit), length, and route of travel. Not to mention our hours of service rules which have become more restrictive.

Certainly we ought to be able to agree that mixing Honda Civics with 18-wheelers and tandems has not necessarily been a smart thing.
Considering I drive in a month what an auto driver does in a year I tend to put more blame for accidents on autos. Of course I'm bias but I don't see too many trucks using off ramps as passing lanes or crossing 4 lanes of traffic to make an exit or, my favorite, dropping from 65 to 40 on the highway so that someone can merge 20 mph below the speed limit. 80,000 lbs does not stop on a dime, although I can bring it to a stop in the space of a normal off-ramp (unlike many auto drivers who slow down on the interstate). If drivers could sit in my seat for a day it might open some eyes, maybe.

War story:

Two guys decided that they were going to steal an aluminum coil off the back of a flatbed truck. Mind you, if you're hauling a single coil it weighs around 45,000 lbs if not more. They backed their pick up up to the back of the trailer, broke loose the binders, and started to push the coil off the back of the trailer. This is actually quite easy to do, there's a reason coils loaded eyes across are called 'suicide' loaded. Of course, a 45,000lb coil may get going easy but stopping it is another thing. It landed in the back of the pickup, bent the frame, and broke the rear axle. All that to try and recycle a coil.:nuts:

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
War story:

Two guys decided that they were going to steal an aluminum coil off the back of a flatbed truck.
{skip}
Of course, a 45,000lb coil may get going easy but stopping it is another thing. It landed in the back of the pickup, bent the frame, and broke the rear axle.
Incredible. Hard to believe that's all it did! Though I suppose it didn't have enough distance or fall far enough to really get momentum...

John

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
You realize that without long haul trucking the country will come to a standstill. Anything that is purchased is transported in a truck.

The last number I heard for truckers was around 3 million drivers. Making all of these drivers local will bring city traffic to a stand still. Railheads would have to be massive in scale and scope. Spend a day watching any major seaport and it will give you an idea as to the amount of traffic it would generate. Much less the time wasted while drivers waited to be loaded. Deadhead costs would cripple smaller companies (especially with today's fuel prices) since there would be no loaded return to the center. The larger companies would simply pass the cost onto the consumer and owner-operators would be driven from the business (this is already happening).

Trucking is one of the most heavily regulated industry in the nation. We are regulated by weight (80,000lbs without permit), length, and route of travel. Not to mention our hours of service rules which have become more restrictive.

Considering I drive in a month what an auto driver does in a year I tend to put more blame for accidents on autos. Of course I'm bias but I don't see too many trucks using off ramps as passing lanes or crossing 4 lanes of traffic to make an exit or, my favorite, dropping from 65 to 40 on the highway so that someone can merge 20 mph below the speed limit. 80,000 lbs does not stop on a dime, although I can bring it to a stop in the space of a normal off-ramp (unlike many auto drivers who slow down on the interstate). If drivers could sit in my seat for a day it might open some eyes, maybe.
:
I expect you to defend your profession, but I find the arguments unpersuasive. You're right that everything moves by truck. And that's the problem. If long haul trucks had been banned on the interstates I'm convinced we would still have a robust railroad system in this country instead of the skeleton network we have now. I'm also convinced that smart people motivated by profit would have built the necessary infrastructure to make this as efficient as possible.

I know that your industry is regulated. So are the railroads.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that truckers are bad. My point is that bad decisions were made in the 1950's. Had the right decisions been made things would be quite different and, I think, better.

:)

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Holy crap Batman - there's a Hitler Channel?????

I can't tell if this one is serious or not, if it is, I am truly impressed and appaled in equal measure. If it' s not, well, you got me :)

Steven Linton

Maniac with keyboard
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Holy crap Batman - there's a Hitler Channel?????

I can't tell if this one is serious or not, if it is, I am truly impressed and appaled in equal measure. If it' s not, well, you got me :)
its the colloquial name for the History Channel - cause that's all they seem to show.

You know, a bit like calling Poms whingers.

:clown:

Steven Linton

Maniac with keyboard
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
My list of stuff not to watch

1)reality TV shows
2)american football
3) ice wrestling (hockey)
4)daytime soaps
5) American knock-offs of British comedy