Valor of the Guards Q&A

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I leaned towards the answers given by Brett, except the OBO, where I'm inclined to go with Tater.
Smart move - at least the agreeing with Tate part. The OBO is clearly a separate purchase as Tate stated - think I was confusing it with the pre-reg hex purchase which you couldn't add on later. So close!

Stacks

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
There are four Rowhouses on the VotG map , but are they really Rowhouses?
since the black bars are so weakly painted you could wonder if it only represents the interior artwork of gutted buildings.

Last edited by a moderator:

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another question that I think is answered in the rules but...

When purchasing the Russian G5 76L gun batty, CG5 says they setup HIP. Does the Russian player have to pay FPP for this HIP status, or is it granted freely as I read it in CG5?

Thank you.

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another question that I think is answered in the rules but...

When purchasing the Russian G5 76L gun batty, CG5 says they setup HIP. Does the Russian player have to pay FPP for this HIP status, or is it granted freely as I read it in CG5?

Thank you.
All guns have their normal HIP setup when emplaced rule. CG5 allows them to be "normally" HIP, which is the emplaced rule... (Unless they were revealed in a Fortified building or pillbox, from which they can't move, and should setup under a ? instead of HIP.

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for your answers to my silly questions. I appreciate your mostly vain efforts to enlighten me.

I was looking again at CGI and the obvious importance of the rail station. Accordingly, I was wondering if I was missing something regarding minefield hexes. I see where they aren't able to be setup in frontline hexes. Are there any other restrictions on their placement? It's nice that they can setup hidden in rail car hexes.

:sneak:

now, if I had one of psycho's exploding smileys..

thank you

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is building F36 a roofless factory?

If so, is TEM of indirect/aerial fire +2?

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is building F36 a roofless factory?

If so, is TEM of indirect/aerial fire +2?
No map handy, but that's one of the train stations IIRC, and is a roofless factory (multi-hex with large center dot - V6.1). So yes the indirect/aerial TEM is only +2. See O5.45 and O5.47 for roofless factories.

janusz.maxe

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Since the Soviets probably bought 2 inf coys for 14th scen 1, can they only buy another 2 inf coys during 14th scen 2, since DRM dropped to -2?
I know about the extra platoons, but the base replenishment of about 18-19 points plus 10 CPP extra gives a whole lot to spend on 2 coys+2 platoons.
Janusz

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since the Soviets probably bought 2 inf coys for 14th scen 1, can they only buy another 2 inf coys during 14th scen 2, since DRM dropped to -2?
I know about the extra platoons, but the base replenishment of about 18-19 points plus 10 CPP extra gives a whole lot to spend on 2 coys+2 platoons.
Janusz
This has been answered elsewhere. I think it got garbled when copied to this thread. Yes, the whole total for the first day goes to 4 companies and 2 additional platoons (or some combination) for both scenarios.

Remember it's a daily limit, and the platoon fractions carry over as well as full companies from the initial scenario.

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Preparing to play CG1 my opponent and I looked over the rules and have a few questions regarding setup restrictions as they appear unclear to us.

The Initial Russian OB specifically says Elements of the 10th NKVD Division SET UP in hexes ….

Does this wording “set up” include the RG’s purchased with the 13 CPP they have available? Effectively, should the Russians decide to purchase the Rifle Coy … in order to ‘set up’ on board is he forced to either spend 2 extra points to be able to set up on board or spend one less and set up in reserve ? Or is it still an option to pay 5 CPP and enter the playing area on turn 1.
I've been wondering lately about this. Im about to setup a German CG...

Sam's answer was correct but didn't answer Bo's question as I think he meant to ask it, or I hope he intended for my immediate benefit..

Do purchased RGs pay an additional CPP cost to setup on board in this initial scenario?

Thank you.

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been wondering lately about this. Im about to setup a German CG...

Sam's answer was correct but didn't answer Bo's question as I think he meant to ask it, or I hope he intended for my immediate benefit..

Do purchased RGs pay an additional CPP cost to setup on board in this initial scenario?

Thank you.
I don't think the setup restrictions mean you get free onboard setup for units purchased with those CPP.

So yes, if you don't go reserve, and want to be on the board, pay the extra or enter on turn 1. (For the other CGs, check your RG color dot to see if there is a dr/DR for entry.)

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think the setup restrictions mean you get free onboard setup for units purchased with those CPP.

Agreed...if that were to be the intention then there would need to be a very specific SSR in the ISSSR that allowed purchased RG to set-up on board for free.

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed...if that were to be the intention then there would need to be a very specific SSR in the ISSSR that allowed purchased RG to set-up on board for free.
Completely agree.

thanks guys.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
VOTG Scenario 10 The Darkest Day, SSR5

Hi.

For the above scenario, the SSR for inflitrating Russians (SSR5) states that the dr deciding which unit are received should be a secret dr.

However, there is no statement that the unit received is placed on board concealed. I expect that they should be, if not there would not be any use of a secret dr. How have you guys handled that?

JM

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps unconcealed is intended. The units are also marked with Prep Fire / Final Fire - and that would not be the case with a concealed unit.

If there is no LOS to the location, the enemy player may not inspect the stack, and all three possible units include a 328 HS... So there are ways to keep him guessing.

Last edited:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RePh Question

V12.618...
Does the -1 to CPP DR for 20CVP still apply after an idle day has occurred?

The way it is worded "Per each 20 Casualty VP (A26.22) suffered by the friendly side in the previous CG scenario..." would mean that even after an idle day the casualties from the last scenario actually played would still apply to the CPP roll. That doesn't sound right but that is the wording. This wording is different from RB.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cg-1 / Cgi-5

Why does this subject SSR use the term "Infantry-type RG"?

Does it mean that an additional 2CPP is paid if one buys a second Infantry RG of the same "type"?
EX: I buy a Ruski I2 RG for 3CPP and if I buy another I2 I pay 5CPP...but if I buy a Ruski I2 RG for 3 CPP I could buy a Ruski I6 RG for 4CPP (i.e., no extra 2CPP).

...OR...

Does it mean the +2CPP applies to ANY Infantry RG beyond the first?
EX: I buy a Ruski I3 RG for 5CPP and if I buy a Ruski I2 RG it will cost 5CPP.

No where in the VotG/RB rules is the term "Infantry-type" defined relative to RG's. The only place "type" is used is for "Group Type". Thus this SSR seems sort of misleading as to what it really means and how the +2CPP is to be applied.

If it is meant to be applied as the latter of my two examples then they should have said "Infantry RG". If they mean the former then they should have said "Infantry Group Type RG". As it is they used a half-a$$ term that is pretty much undefined and confusing.

janusz.maxe

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Does the NKVD lose concealment when rallying a same location or ADJACENT brokie in a NKVD-strongpoint?

janusz.maxe

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Tom Morin states that NKVD and Commissars lose concealment when rallying broken in a strongpoint, even if the brokies are not in t the same location.
Janusz

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Cg-1 / Cgi-5

Posting Tom's reply from the other thread to Tater's questions above. Minor editing for space conservation.

Cg-1 / CCGI-5
Why does this subject SSR use the term "Infantry-type RG"?

"Does it mean the +2CPP applies to ANY Infantry RG beyond the first?
EX: I buy a Ruski I3 RG for 5CPP and if I buy a Ruski I2 RG it will cost 5CPP"

Yes, this is the correct interpretation.

RePh Question
V12.618...
Does the -1 to CPP DR for 20CVP still apply after an idle day has occurred?

No, it doesn't apply after an idle day.